Senior Data Engineer - Remote
- 860 Broadway home office, New York, NY, us
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology!
Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
For more information about Renaissance, visit https://www.renaissance.com/about-us/, and Schoolzilla, visit https://www.renaissance.com/products/schoolzilla/
Empower People to Use Data to Increase Student Success
Schoolzilla is a product group within Renaissance whose mission is to change millions of students’ lives by enabling people to use data to run great schools. Teachers and school leaders need lots of data to make good decisions for their students, but most of them can’t get the data they need in any kind of useful, actionable format. Schoolzilla's team of developers, data visualizers, seasoned educators and K-12 experts have done just that: we've made data easy to find, understand, and act on for school districts everywhere. We've already helped thousands of schools make better, faster decisions with our platform.
Every day we live our founding values: Driven by Mission, Better Together, Teammates Matter, Equity At The Center, and Intellectual Humilarity (humility + hilarity).
How You Can Help:
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the country to take data-driven action by delivering timely, accurate, and actionable data. As a member of this team, you'll be at the center of product innovation. You'll collaborate with product managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
What You’ll Do:
- Craft fault-tolerant data pipelines and distributed systems that can scale by millions of students
- Ensure that timely, accurate data is delivered to the variety of tools and systems that depend on it
- Partner with your peer engineers and product owners to bring new features and products to market
- Design and build connections to proprietary data systems, allowing us to bring new customers onboard easily and cost-effectively
- Define and calculate new key performance indicators for a deeper understanding of student performance at a school or district
- Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged throughout the company
- Establish new patterns and frameworks for quickly aggregating millions of raw data records into actionable metrics
- Craft sample data sets for use in demos and testing
For this role you must have:
- Experience designing, implementing, and supporting modern enterprise-scale ETL / ELT pipelines that are both efficient and intuitive.
- Experience architecting data warehouses and data lakes that are organized, performant, and easy to use
- Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages such as Python and experience in SQL
- Proficiency with major relational databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server or Postgres
- Experience using cloud-based data warehouses, particularly Snowflake or BigQuery
- Knowledge of modern, cloud-based data pipeline best practices
- Experience working in an Agile software development organization
- Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
- A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
- Flexible: You are comfortable with technical ambiguity and welcome rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
- Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
- Experience with the tools we use, like AWS (including Glue and Lambda), Apache Airflow, and Docker - plus experience with tools we don’t use, but should, and the wisdom to know when to recommend them
- Experience with ETL management tools such as Apache Airflow or dbt
- Experience working remotely or as part of a geographically distributed team
- Experience working in an an organization the utilizes DevOps practices
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range: $94,000 - $160,000 This range is based on national market data and may vary by location.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Generous Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- 10+ paid holidays
- 2 Volunteer Days off yearly
- 14 weeks fully paid family leave
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.” Many of us choose to work at Renaissance because we are driven by this mission.
Inherent in a mission that strives to serve “all children and adults” who represent “all ability levels...and backgrounds,” is the need to recognize the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our culture, in our work, and in our products.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented minorities will only apply to roles if they feel they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Renaissance, we encourage you to break through that statistic. Roles evolve over time, especially with innovation, and you may be just the person we need into the future. NO ONE ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We hope you're open to learning new skills in order to grow with us. Make our team, your team!