Backend Engineer - Freckle by Renaissance
- 400 Montgomery St, San Francisco, CA 94111, USA
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology.
Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
We are seeking an experienced, talented Backend Engineer to join the engineering team at Freckle by Renaissance. You’ll be bringing your talents and expertise to continue building and evolving our highly available and distributed SaaS platform.
This position is available on-site or remote (United States time-zones).
In this role, you will:
- Architect, design and develop new web applications, APIs, services, tools, and distributed systems for the Freckle ecosystem in Haskell, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, and many others.
- Be primarily focused on the backend of Freckle's SaaS products.
- Mentor and support more junior developers in the organization .
- Create, improve, and refine workflows and processes for delivering quality software on time and with carefully calculated debt .
- Work closely with Freckle educators, product managers, customer support representatives, and account executives to help the business move fast and efficiently through relentless automation.
- Communicate effectively in a distributed work environment.
How you will do this:
- You’re part of an agile, multidisciplinary team.
- You bring your own unique skillset to the table and collaborate with others to accomplish your team’s goals.
- You prioritize your work with the team and its product owner, weighing both the business and technical value of each task.
- You experiment, test, try, fail, and learn continuously.
- You don’t do things just because they were always done that way, you bring your experience and expertise with you and help the team make the best decisions.
For this role, you must have:
- Strong knowledge of and experience with the functional programming paradigm.
- Experience conducting code reviews, providing feedback to other engineers.
- Great communication skills and a proven ability to work as part of a tight-knit team.
Bonus points for:
- You have experience building Haskell applications.
- You are passionate about education.
- You are interested in full-stack web application development (from CSS to AWS).
- You have worked and thrived in a distributed team context before.
- Medical, dental, vision including Health Savings Accounts
- Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- Parental Leave – 20 weeks total, 14 weeks paid
- Vacation Time Off
- 12 Holidays and 2 Volunteer Days
- Commuter benefits
- Wellness Incentives
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.”
Many of us choose to work at Renaissance because we are driven by this mission. Inherent in a mission that strives to serve “all children and adults” who represent “all ability levels...and backgrounds,” is the need to recognize the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our culture, in our work, and in our products.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines
- For information about Renaissance, visit: https://www.renaissance.com/
- For information about Freckle by Renaissance, visit: https://www.freckle.com/