Vice President - Finance
- 6625 W 78th Street Suite 220, Bloomington, MN, us
Renaissance® is the leader in K–12 learning analytics—enabling teachers, curriculum creators, and educators to drive phenomenal student growth. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Founded by parents, upheld by educators, and enriched by data scientists, Renaissance knows learning is a continual journey—from year to year and for a lifetime. Our data-driven, personalized solutions are currently used in over one-third of U.S. schools and more than 70 countries around the world. For more information, visit www.renaissance.com.
Founded in 1986, Renaissance® is the leading provider of cloud-based assessment, teaching, and learning solutions for pre-K–12 schools and districts. Renaissance solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Its data-driven solutions are used in over one-third of U.S. schools and more than 70 countries.
Its mission is fundamental to the organization, teachers, and students:
“To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.”
At its core, Renaissance believes students will excel with the guidance of expert teachers who have the data and resources to guide growth for students at many different levels. Educators throughout the world benefit from the organization’s technology, data analytics, and research-based reading and math practice, using it to differentiate instruction and guide greater student achievement and growth.
As the leader in pre-K–12 learning analytics, Renaissance helps teachers, curriculum creators, and educators drive phenomenal student growth, and is a unique asset in K-12 education due to its scale, incumbency, and distribution. Renaissance has market-leading and teacher-friendly products with strong customer loyalty, high frequency of product usage, and high NPS scores. Over 46,000 schools and 18 million students are hosted on its subscription-based platform; over 90% of revenue comes from recurring subscriptions.
Nearly 1000 employed professionals develop and support world-class Renaissance products, which include:
Renaissance Star 360® – computer-adaptive interim assessments for reading, math, and early literacy, all in a suite of assessments that provide achievement and growth data needed for screening, progress monitoring, and guiding instruction in the least amount of testing time.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360® – a data-driven, personalized reading practice program to help every student become a flourishing reader, ready to succeed in college and career.
Renaissance Accelerated Math® – a solution that monitors and manages mathematics skills practice at the unique levels students need to grow—from foundational skills to grade-level standards.
Renaissance Flow 360™ – a seamless flow of data from assessment to differentiated instruction and personalized practice resources, then back into a unified measure of student mastery.
myON Reader and News – an industry leading digital literacy solution providing equal access to nearly 13,000 digital books and daily news to students of all reading levels and literacy skills.
In the past few years, Renaissance has invested in product innovation; upgraded its IT infrastructure for modern cloud delivery; and focused on the recruitment of top-level C-suite executives for continued success.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
Reporting to the CFO, Lynn Danko, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, this role is a key component to the company’s financial and operational success. The VP of Finance will be an expert in FP&A, and will be responsible for leading the development and execution of Renaissance Learning’s long term strategic and financial planning initiatives, as well as evaluating competitive differentiation and corresponding business plans that will increase enterprise value. The VP of Finance will be a key team member and liaison with the accounting team leader ensuring the company's story is told and coordinated with accounting leadership as well as when strategic initiatives are determined, and budgets are complete. They will help to drive the creation and development of a robust and scalable analytical framework for data analysis and decision-support within the company and will often be the primary touchpoint inside the company, for the board of directors from Francisco Partners.
The ideal candidate will have experience building deep business partner relationships across the organization and will have worked at companies where the finance function is positioned as a critical strategic asset, and a driver of risk-informed, data-driven decisions.
● Actively manage long term financial planning and analysis including budgeting, forecasting, resource management and multi-year financial plans, working closely with functional leaders across the company.
● “Own and operate” the Renaissance Learning business model, and drive benchmarks and KPIs for measuring the financial and operating performance of the business.
● Provide in-depth financial modeling and analysis for a wide range of initiatives including, but not limited, to financial analysis for contract negotiations and product investment decisions, recommendations on business model, product pricing, and special promotions, analysis of customer segmentation and product adoption.
● Proactively partner with leadership and cross-functional teams to develop and support strategic initiatives and improve actual financial results.
● Develop monthly and quarterly management and Board reporting to ensure a high degree of quality, timeliness, and accuracy in reporting as well as providing business insight.
● Develop, maintain and utilize the appropriate financial systems, tools and resources required to support all of the financial planning, management and reporting needs of the business.
● Evaluate effective budgeting and reporting tools and lead the implementation of any new budgeting and reporting tools determined necessary.
● Institute and maintain effective processes and best practices in modeling, financial tools, communication and coordination for the FP&A role in the Company.
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required.
● Minimum of 10+ years experience in senior financial positions.
● Financial Modeling and Analysis: well-versed in the creation of robust, scalable, and flexible financial models. Takes a creative approach to this process. Analytical and business minded. Must be able to dig into the details to analyze and understand causes of budget/actual variances.
● Experience working in the software space, preferably SaaS, and comfortable with complex revenue recognition models
● Cash Management: Skilled at highly efficient working capital management and the creation of meaningful long-term projections.
● Proven ability to engage all relevant members of the executive team to align financial management with short and long term financial planning and projections. Demonstrated success working across functional groups to achieve key operational goals that have financial implications.
● Flexible, independent, forward-thinking with a willingness to engage in all aspects of the business.
● Metrics-driven. Able to translate strategy into measurable operational goals and objectives. Disciplined in assessing performance and addressing problems.
● Demonstrated ability of performing in-depth analyses of industry market trends, addressable markets and implementing forecasting techniques.
● Comfortable in outward-facing situations with investors, customers, partners. Strong executive presence and ability to serve as a strong representative for the Company in any environment.
● Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills while having the ability to work effectively with multiple functional areas in a collaborative, team environment
● Able to lead by doing. A hands-on mentality and low ego approach to building a great company.
Compensation will consist of the following elements:
● A cash compensation (base and incentive) package in line with an entrepreneurial growth company.
● Equity in the form of stock options, with high upside potential.
● The personal reward associated with a position of leadership in a company creating a new business. This position is one of major importance, high impact and high visibility.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.