Area Vice President - Sales
- virtual office, Atlanta, Georgia
Renaissance® is the leader in K–12 learning analytics—enabling teachers, curriculum creators, and educators to drive phenomenal student growth. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Founded by parents, upheld by educators, and enriched by data scientists, Renaissance knows learning is a continual journey—from year to year and for a lifetime. Our data-driven, personalized solutions are currently used in over one-third of U.S. schools and more than 60 countries around the world. For more information, visit www.renaissance.com.
Founded in 1986, Renaissance® is the leading provider of cloud-based assessment, teaching, and learning solutions for pre-K–12 schools and districts. Renaissance solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Its data-driven solutions are used in over one-third of U.S. schools and more than 70 countries.
Its mission is fundamental to the organization, teachers, and students:
“To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.”
At its core, Renaissance believes students will excel with the guidance of expert teachers who have the data and resources to guide growth for students at many different levels. Educators throughout the world benefit from the organization’s technology, data analytics, and research-based reading and math practice, using it to differentiate instruction and guide greater student achievement and growth.
As the leader in pre-K–12 learning analytics, Renaissance helps teachers, curriculum creators, and educators drive phenomenal student growth, and is a unique asset in K-12 education due to its scale, incumbency, and distribution. Renaissance has market-leading and teacher-friendly products with strong customer loyalty, high frequency of product usage, and high NPS scores. Over 46,000 schools and 18 million students are hosted on its subscription-based platform; over 90% of revenue comes from recurring subscriptions.
Over 1000 employed professionals develop and support world-class Renaissance products, which include:
Renaissance Star 360® – computer-adaptive interim assessments for reading, math, and early literacy, all in a suite of assessments that provide achievement and growth data needed for screening, progress monitoring, and guiding instruction in the least amount of testing time.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360® – a data-driven, personalized reading practice program to help every student become a flourishing reader, ready to succeed in college and career.
Renaissance Accelerated Math® – a solution that monitors and manages mathematics skills practice at the unique levels students need to grow—from foundational skills to grade-level standards.
Renaissance Flow 360™ – a seamless flow of data from assessment to differentiated instruction and personalized practice resources, then back into a unified measure of student mastery.
In the past few years, Renaissance has invested in product innovation; upgraded its IT infrastructure for modern cloud delivery; and focused on the recruitment of top-level C-suite executives for continued success.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Area Vice President of Sales provides leadership, direction and resource stewardship to their respective sales function. Reporting to the EVP Sales & Services, the Area Vice President, Sales is accountable for the overall sales organization performance, the profitable achievement of sales organization goals, and for aligning sales objectives with firm business strategy. Reporting to this role will be 7-9 Sales leaders and their teams in the Eastern US Area with $100+ million in annual SaaS and services revenue (TCV) responsibility.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Renaissance Learning, the leading provider of cloud-based assessment, teaching, and learning solutions that fit the K12 classroom. As Area Vice President of Sales, you will use your K12 sales management experience to lead already successful Eastern regional sales teams to the next level and beyond. We are looking for a proven, charismatic, execution driven and inspirational leader with a passion for accelerating learning.
• Aligns the sales organization’s objectives with firm business strategy through active participation in corporate strategic planning, sales strategy development, forecasting, sales resource planning, and budgeting.
• Accountable for effective sales organization design, including sales job roles, sales channel (GTM) design, and sales resource deployment.
• Meets assigned targets for profitable sales volume, market share, and other key financial performance objectives.
• Leads learning and development initiatives impacting the sales organization, and provides stewardship of sales and sales management talent. Through active, productive partnerships with Human Resources and Learning and Development functions, the AVP establishes learning and development objectives essential to the sales organization’s success, oversees the effective delivery of training and development programs, actively assesses the value of training and development investments, and monitors learning and development outcomes to ensure high ROI.
• Establishes and governs the sales organizations performance management system. This includes establishing guiding sales organizational principles for managing performance, establishing and prioritizing critical performance measures for all sales jobs; overseeing the equitable allocation of organization objectives across all sales channels, markets, and personnel; and ensuring all key sales and sales management associates are held accountable for assigned results.
• Provides leadership to the sales organization’s management team, while fostering a culture of accountability, professional development, high-performance, and ethical behavior.
• Influences the sales organization support budget. Proactively assesses existing sales organization support investments, including those in technology, training, and administrative support. Ensures support investments yield productivity benefits consistent with established objectives. Provides managerial leadership to Sales Operations in meeting this responsibility, and works closely with the Chief Information Officer to ensure technology initiatives are implemented consistent with firm technology strategy.
• Leads sales organization change initiatives by continuously assessing the need for organizational change, championing change initiatives, and removing obstacles impeding constructive organizational change.
• Establishes and maintains productive peer-to-peer relationships with customers and prospects.
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Business Acumen
• Financial Acumen
• Strategic Thinking
• Communication Leadership
• Results Driven
• Customer Focus
• Technical Capacity
• Bachelor's degree in education or business, master’s or doctorate preferred or equivalent combination of related education and experience, plus a minimum of seven to ten years of direct sales experience and 10+ years of successful sales management experience in education or technology
• Comprehensive knowledge of K-12 market space, e-Learning products, markets, and funding sources
• Proven leader that leads by example and embraces change
• Track record of building and motivating successful sales teams, growing sales year over year, and world-class customer retention
• Strong communicator to internal and external audiences
• Ability and desire to travel extensively through assigned territory
Presence: Executive-level presence, good business judgment, a comfortable, open communication style, and a willingness and ability to work with teams.
Style: Ability to leverage resources, both directly and in a ‘virtual’ style, that are not under direct control will be a key success factor. Navigating and influencing in a matrix environment. Organizational prioritization and focus are essential to success. Demonstrates interest in others’ goals and objectives and a willingness to comprise to reach mutually satisfactory outcomes; practices active listening and builds commitment to decisions or plans; upfront and as changes are made. Provides honest and direct feedback, both positive and constructive, on a timely basis; spends time with team members, coaching them to higher levels of performance; has a career focus and helps team members chart their path to meet their goals.
Analytical ability: Ability to diagnose common business needs and issues, and to translate those needs into actionable pragmatic solutions. Ability to diagnose common Customer needs and issues, and to translate those needs into actionable pragmatic solutions. Grounds decisions in a deep understanding of market and customer needs; has a strong commercial focus; balances the need for short term results with patience to allow innovations to realize their potential and achievement of goals.
Results Driven: Holds team accountable to delivering against high performance standards of performance; establishes individual and team KPIs and consistently achieves them; allocates to resources and removes barriers to maximize team performance; demonstrates a cost consciousness and is a good steward of RLI’s resources.
Change Agent: Embraces change and help others embrace change; engages others in the change journey to minimize disruption and maximize engagement; empowers team members to make decisions for their areas while holding them accountable for their results.
• Reports to the EVP Sales and Services
• Peer colleague to other senior-most sales and functional heads
• Direct report staff includes Regional Sales Leaders, Inside Sales Managers and Account Executives
• Provides indirect leadership and influence to core sales support functions including Regional Marketing, Government Affairs, Services, Customer Success, Business Operations
An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree, ideally an MBA, is highly desirable and preferred.
A competitive base salary, bonus structure, and equity participation opportunity will be used to attract the ideal candidate to this opportunity.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.