Director of Dev Ops
- 220, 400 N 1st Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401, USA
Renaissance® is the leader in K–12 learning analytics—enabling teachers, curriculum creators, and educators to drive phenomenal student growth. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Founded by parents, upheld by educators, and enriched by data scientists, Renaissance knows learning is a continual journey—from year to year and for a lifetime. Our data-driven, personalized solutions are currently used in over one-third of U.S. schools and more than 60 countries around the world.
For more information, visit www.renaissance.com.
Renaissance Learning is one of the world’s largest providers of K-12 education software. Our apps are used in over half the schools in the United States and in over 77 countries worldwide. Over the years we’ve collected hundreds of millions of assessments and tests via our cloud-based applications.
This is a newly created opportunity that will be based out of our in Minneapolis, MN office and will report to our VP of Dev Ops. Our Dev Ops teams specialize in two areas:
- Build & Release automation to help Renaissance ship faster while maintaining confidence in quality. Our roadmap includes implementing advanced techniques such as reproducible builds, immutable infrastructure, and blue/green releases to support a cutting edge data analytics and machine learning platform in AWS.
- Site Reliability Engineering to ensure an efficient and stable platform that provides a first-class experience for teachers and students. Our roadmap includes modernizing our monitoring, logging and alerting platforms, implementing autoscaling and creating self-healing code that can withstand the effects produced by Chaos Monkey.
In order to insure that the right work is done in the right order, the Director of Dev Ops will lead the definition of User Stories and the translation of those user stories into working code. The Director of Dev Ops will bring a solid understanding of build and release automation, infrastructure as code, and cloud operations to bear on prioritizing work and managing the iron triangle of time, quality and scope.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist with Program Portfolio Management
The Director of Dev Ops will work with the Engineering Leadership Team to translate approved Portfolio Backlog initiatives into batched User stories, assisting in this prioritization and working under the direction of the VP of DevOps. In particular, the Director of Dev Ops will work across the Engineering function as necessary to insure an orderly flow of user stories into the Build and Release and SRE teams.
User Story Owner
The Director of Dev Ops will serve as the “normal” story owner for the team, writing the user story, defining and refining acceptance criteria, explaining the goals of the story and working with the Tech Lead and Epic Architect to do design.
Team Queue Owner
While the team will manage its own workflow, the Director of Dev Ops will help the VP prioritize stories within the team queue, enabling the team to understand relative business value, cross team dependencies and cost of delay.
Team Assignment: DevOps: Build & Release and SRE teams
- Represents business stakeholders and voice of the customer to sprint team
- Shares specific details outside of kanban teams
- Lead epic batching process and populate program backlog
- Supports team-level validation efforts
- Review test plan information and provide feedback
- Release planning - pull together/define project schedule and milestone dates
- Engineering or Technical degree preferred
- K-12 software experience a plus
- Should be experienced and comfortable with Agile Scrum and Kanban.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.