Hotel Cook - Twin Farms
- Department: Kitchen
Twin Farms is located in bucolic Barnard, Vermont, about 90 minutes from Burlington, three hours from Boston, or five from New York City. Stays are reserved for adults only and are inclusive of all meals, fine wines and spirits, as well as all activities and equipment.
As one of the world's celebrated Five Star hotels, we recognize that people are essential to our success. Indeed, the very essence of great hospitality comes from the dedication of every member of the Twin Farms team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Summary: The Rounds Cook reliably serves as a dynamic ingredient in the many areas of kitchen operations. He/she works in close collaboration with the Executive and Sous chefs to consistently execute food preparation that meets and even exceeds Twin Farms’ renowned standards of quality. As a member of a fast-paced and creative culinary team, the Rounds Cook may fill in at every possible kitchen station: from breakfast or lunch, to dinner or buffets, to pastry.
Responsibilities and functions involved in this role, but not limited to, include:
- With the guest’s culinary experience foremost in mind, execute the preparation/cooking of various food items - ensuring all offerings consistently live up to our Five Star recognition.
- Develop and maintain ability to step up and serve at a variety of kitchen stations- breakfast, lunch, dinner, buffets, and pastry
- Continually monitor fine details of food production and take responsibility for efficient use of inventory, quality/consistency, and the accommodation of guest specifications.
- Proactively utilize culinary knowledge and creativity in proposing, developing, and implementing thoughtful and novel menu items that build on Twin Farm’s brand success.
- Assume the role of liaison between the kitchen and other hotel departments- demonstrating superb lateral service, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Observe department safety procedures and policies- including proper organization of work stations as well as sanitation of all kitchen facilities and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth skills and knowledge of all kitchen operations- including utilizing tools/equipment, planning and preparing a wide range of foods, and working in an effective team format.
- Capable and knowledgeable in producing consistent and high-quality product in a timely manner.
- Able to offer support to kitchen leadership with fresh ideas and creativity toward menu development and presentation.
- Knowledgeable of nutritional standards and in management of alternatives to allergy/dietary restrictions.
- Able to take direction and work independently with appropriate time management skills and good follow through/completion of tasks.
- Skilled in sharing expertise with others (directing less experienced cooks/kitchen personnel) and ready to develop new culinary skills and experiences.
- Able to exerting clear communication and friendly interpersonal skills.
- Adept at providing clear direction, fielding questions, and providing clarification in a supportive and positive tone.
- Able to embody and model a dedication to quality assurance with sincerity in working to exceed guest expectations.
- Able to maintain promote a positive attitude and ability to work well with other team members despite strains and demands.
- Able to exert strong organizational skills and efficient management of work station.
- Knowledgeable of basic kitchen and food safety procedures– including proper use of equipment and handling and storing of foods.
- Familiar with wise use of kitchen resources/inventory.
- Culinary education and/or on the job training with hotel and fine dining experience preferred
- Previous experience cooking in a fine dining restaurant of at least 2 years
- Tasks are often conducted under the stress of a fast-paced environment with ever-changing demands.
- Predominant activity is on feet with continuous walking and standing.
- Frequent reaching, bending, and lifting of light loads with occasional lifting extremes up to approximately 50lbs.
- Work involves a good deal of independent management but also close collaboration with a team.
- Shift hours are typically long with weekend and holiday attendance most always necessary- requires ability to maintain a flexible schedule and work holidays.
- Property Gratuities
- Paid time off up to 4 weeks
- Paid sick leave
- Holiday Pay
- Paid overtime
- Paid health and vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401k Matching
- Daily Staff Meal
- Relocation Assistance
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.