Research Associate - Molecular & Synthetic Biology
- 3650 Dunhill St, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Rejuvenate Bio is using a convergent, multi-disciplinary approach, combining gene therapy, proprietary targets, and the animal health market to bring human age-related therapies to market. We are targeting the core drivers of chronic age-related diseases by unlocking the power of gene expression and epigenetic reprogramming to reverse pre-existing heart disease, metabolic disease, and kidney failure in humans.
Each therapy we’re developing has the potential for therapeutic impact across multiple disease indications, with each new piece of data validating the approach and increasing the value of each clinical program. This will allow us to rapidly expand each product into multiple indications. Additionally, our animal health programs provide an untapped market for early revenue and further validation for use in humans.
Research Associate – Molecular Biology/Synthetic Biology
At Rejuvenate Bio, we aspire to treat aging and age-related diseases. We are a spinout from George Church's lab at Harvard Medical School and the Wyss Institute, and our goal is to treat pets and people with targeted gene therapies directed at curing specific disease states associated with old age that also have the potential to extend overall health and maximal lifespan. Our approach is pushing gene therapy beyond single gene disorders and has the potential to make a significant impact in age-related chronic conditions driving the bulk of healthcare spending.
We are seeking a high-motivated and detailed molecular biologist to join our controlled gene therapy team! The Research Associate will focus on implementing molecular biology techniques to support ongoing and future genome engineering research efforts towards the discovery and development of molecular tools for controlled gene therapies. The successful candidate will possess technical expertise in, or demonstrates the ability to quickly learn, a wide range of molecular biology techniques including various molecular cloning techniques, cell/tissue handling, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR/qPCR, FACS, NGS library preparation, and downstream data curation and interpretation. Ideal applicants will be able to conduct molecular biology projects in a variety of cellular systems, effectively troubleshoot technical problems, and be able to collect, interpret and present the data in both written and oral form to a varied audience.
This role is ideal for mid-entry level candidates and requires creativity, flexibility, problem solving, and a strong work ethic. This position reports to a Sr. Scientist in the R&D department.
- Following laboratory protocols and safety regulations.
- Perform a variety of molecular and cell biology work, including molecular cloning, PCR, plasmid preps, sequencing library preps, cell culture, and transfection
- With supervision, designing, executing, and interpreting molecular biology and cell/tissue culture experiments.
- Performing basic and advanced cell culture on a variety of cell lines adherent and suspension.
- Present studies at internal group/department or project team research meetings.
- Working with a team to optimize our SOPs and processes.
- Survey relevant scientific literature to maintain awareness of issues and find solutions to scientific or technical problems.
- Performing related laboratory maintenance, such as ordering supplies, managing inventory, and documenting laboratory conditions.
- Detailed lab notebook and data management, curation, and statistical analysis of experimental data.
- Accountable for on-time, high quality results and clear communication with supervisor.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Plan time appropriately given a set of weekly goals.
- B.S or M.S. in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, biomedical engineering, or related field required.
- At least 1 year of experience with basic cloning techniques (restriction enzyme, Gibson, golden gate, or gateway are pluses) and mammalian cell culture during or after undergraduate studies.
- Ability to quickly become independent in daily tasks.
- Ability to discuss results and troubleshoot minor issues independently.
- Strong work ethic and communication skills (written, verbal, and listening), and a flexible, goal-oriented personality.
- Technical expertise in DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, bacterial transformation and plasmid prep, cell culture techniques, immunofluorescence imaging.
- Experience with primary/stem cell culture, flow cytometry, ELISAs, next-generation sequencing, CRISPR-based genome editing, critical RNA structure related work and AAV related experience are pluses.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of molecular biology techniques.
Rejuvenate Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Rejuvenate Bio is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position is primarily sedentary, and employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
- Standing, walking and meeting activities are required frequently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to process paperwork and utilize office equipment (including personal computer, phone, copiers, etc.).
- Normal sight or corrected vision is required to read documents and use standard computer terminals. Some light lifting may be occasionally required.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone