Senior Scientist - Target Discovery and Molecular Biology
- 3650 Dunhill St, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Rejuvenate Bio is using a convergent, multi-disciplinary approach, combining gene therapy, proprietary targets, and the animal health market to bring human age-related therapies to market. We are targeting the core drivers of chronic age-related diseases by unlocking the power of gene expression and epigenetic reprogramming to reverse pre-existing heart disease, metabolic disease, and kidney failure in humans.
Each therapy we’re developing has the potential for therapeutic impact across multiple disease indications, with each new piece of data validating the approach and increasing the value of each clinical program. This will allow us to rapidly expand each product into multiple indications. Additionally, our animal health programs provide an untapped market for early revenue and further validation for use in humans.
Senior Scientist - Target Discovery and Molecular Biology
The ‘Target Discovery and Molecular Biology Scientist’ position will directly support efforts to build our early-stage pipeline. The successful candidate will be responsible for using their knowledge of molecular biology to investigate new therapeutics for treating aging and age-related diseases as well as supporting current discovery-phase projects. This position will also focus on implementing molecular biology techniques to support ongoing and future genome engineering research efforts towards the discovery and development of molecular tools for controlled gene therapies. The position reports to the Head of Basic Research of Rejuvenate Bio.
Will use technical expertise in genetic engineering and biotechnology with a wide range of molecular biology techniques including, CRISPR-Cas9, shRNA & RNAi mediated genetic editing, genetic engineering using various synthetic biology tools and mutant creation, molecular cloning techniques, cell/tissue handling, PCR/qPCR, flow cytometry, signaling pathway deconvolution using various protein biology tools, and downstream data curation and interpretation. Will conduct molecular biology projects in a variety of cellular as well as animal models, effectively troubleshoot technical problems, and collect, interpret and present resultant data in both written and oral form to a varied audience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Setting, completing and updating milestones related to projects.
- Performing cell culture for virus expression and purification when needed.
- Help oversee research associates and contract research organizations when used to conduct experiments.
- Performing standard and advanced cloning techniques.
- Designing and executing experiments, independently and in conjunction with a small team in support of research studies.
- Following laboratory protocols and safety regulations.
- Performing detailed and accurate documentation of all experiments and laboratory practices.
- Accountable for on-time, high quality results and clearly communicating progress.
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, molecular biosciences, virology, biology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetic engineering and biotechnology, bioengineering or related field required.
- 2 years of in a related scientific role or as a graduate research assistant.
- Proven technical proficiency and demonstrated skill in designing, executing, and interpreting molecular biology and genetic manipulation experiments both in-intro and in-vivo models.
- Experience with basic cloning techniques (restriction enzyme, Gibson, golden gate, or gateway) or related experience.
- Technical expertise in DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, bacterial transformation and plasmid prep., cell culture techniques, immunofluorescence imaging.
- Experience with primary/stem cell culture, flow cytometry, ELISAs, next-generation sequencing, CRISPR-based genome editing, critical RNA structure related work and mutant creation related experience are pluses.
- Research experience with molecular mechanism and signal dissecting related to natural compound, small molecule and various disease e.g., cardiovascular disease, cancer etc.
- Experience with RNA-Seq and data handlining.
- Experience with genetic engineering and associated molecular biology tools.
- Experience with standard microbial techniques including ELISA, qPCR, cloning, western blot, cell culture, etc.
- Experience managing a team of people and working between different groups.
Rejuvenate Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Rejuvenate Bio is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position is primarily sedentary, and employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
- Standing, walking and meeting activities are required frequently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to process paperwork and utilize office equipment (including personal computer, phone, copiers, etc.).
- Normal sight or corrected vision is required to read documents and use standard computer terminals. Some light lifting may be occasionally required.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone