Scientist, DNA Engineering
- 3560 Dunhill St, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Rejuvenate Bio is using a convergent, multi-disciplinary approach, combining gene therapy, proprietary targets, and the animal health market to bring human age-related therapies to market. We are targeting the core drivers of chronic age-related diseases by unlocking the power of gene expression and epigenetic reprogramming to reverse pre-existing heart disease, metabolic disease, and kidney failure in humans.
Each therapy we’re developing has the potential for therapeutic impact across multiple disease indications, with each new piece of data validating the approach and increasing the value of each clinical program. This will allow us to rapidly expand each product into multiple indications. Additionally, our animal health programs provide an untapped market for early revenue and further validation for use in humans.
Scientist – DNA Engineering
At Rejuvenate Bio, we aspire to treat aging and age-related diseases. We are a spinout from George Church's lab at Harvard Medical School and the Wyss Institute, and our goal is to treat pets and people with targeted gene therapies directed at curing specific disease states associated with old age that also have the potential to extend overall health and maximal lifespan. Our approach is pushing gene therapy beyond single gene disorders and has the potential to make a significant impact in age-related chronic conditions driving the bulk of healthcare spending.
We specifically seek a highly-motivated recent Ph.D. graduate who wishes to launch their career in industry. The successful candidate will view any DNA assembly / construct design problem as a challenge to overcome. This Scientist will be a “molecular biology ninja” possessing deep and broad expertise in molecular cloning techniques (including for DNA having complex/difficult features like ITRs) who designs and assembles DNA constructs for projects across the company. These constructs will enable experiments involving, among other applications, AAV expression, transgene expression, and target ID/validation. This role suits an ambitious growth-oriented Scientist because it entails sitting on diverse project teams and involvement in every scientific department in the company. In addition to possessing deep insight into the design of vectors driving expression in eukaryotic (in cellulo and in vivo) and prokaryotic systems, the successful candidate will be extraordinarily well-organized and capable of clearly and accurately estimating, communicating, and meeting timelines for multiple simultaneous projects.
As a molecular cloning subject matter expert at Rejuvenate Bio, the successful candidate will work cross-functionally to build and scale up our cloning capabilities and improve the efficiency and success rate of multiple cloning methods. This work will involve both the design of constructs and the strategic triaging of these constructs’ assembly based on timelines and cost. Some constructs will be created wholly or in part by CROs, with whom this Scientist will need to work closely. Other constructs (especially high-complexity ones) will be made at the laboratory bench by the Scientist. This position reports to the Senior Director of R&D.
- Setting, completing and updating milestones related to cross-functional and independent projects.
- Create DNA constructs designed independently and in collaboration with other Scientists using state-of-the-art DNA cloning and assembly techniques and deliver sequence-verified constructs in a timely manner and with minimal supervision.
- Keep an organized record of the constructed plasmids, libraries, strains, etc.
- Innovate molecular biology techniques and laboratory workflows to increase capacity, decrease turnaround times, and reduce costs.
- Identify bottlenecks in cloning workflows and develop creative solutions to overcome them.
- Work with external providers and CROs to enable complex molecular biology workflows and construction strategies.
- Executing experiments, independently and in conjunction with a small team in support of research studies.
- Following laboratory protocols and safety regulations.
- Performing detailed and accurate documentation of all experiments and laboratory practices.
- Accountable for on-time, high quality results and clearly communicating progress.
- 100% of time designing constructs and working in the lab to make these constructs.
- All daily troubleshooting and experimental planning and design done independently or with very little input.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Synthetic Biology, Genetics, Bioengineering, or other relevant discipline. Postdoc or industry experience is not required. We specifically seek a highly-motivated recent Ph.D. graduate who wishes to launch their career in industry.
- Deep experience with a variety of molecular cloning methods, including but not limited to Gibson Assembly, Golden Gate, restriction cloning, etc.
- Experience cloning *diverse* constructs driving expression in eukaryotes (in cells and ideally animals); experience with complex elements is a plus.
- Deep understanding of eukaryotic transcription/translation and how it is modulated.
- Demonstrable track record of learning new biology and techniques, and quickly using this learning to successfully execute on projects.
- Demonstrable experience keeping pristine records of experiments and constructs produced.
- Ability to successfully do research independently with only a goal as input.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally.
Rejuvenate Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Rejuvenate Bio is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position is primarily sedentary, and employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
- Standing, walking and meeting activities are required frequently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to process paperwork and utilize office equipment (including personal computer, phone, copiers, etc.).
- Normal sight or corrected vision is required to read documents and use standard computer terminals. Some light lifting may be occasionally required.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone