- New York, NY, USA, New York, NY
Refinery29, the largest independent fashion and style website in the United States, delivers nonstop inspiration for smart, stylish and creative women everywhere. For three years running, Refinery29 has been featured in Inc. Magazine’s Top 500 fastest growing companies, and in 2013 it was rated the #1 fastest growing media company in the US. In 2014, Refinery29 was chosen as one of Fast Company’s World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Style, and won three Webby Awards including Best in Fashion & Beauty. For more information and to browse content, visit www.Refinery29.com
Refinery29 is on the hunt for a talented News Director to develop a team of writers and reporters to shape the site's move into up-to-the-minute coverage of breaking news across all R29 categories (hard news, entertainment, fashion, beauty, wellness, food) and the social web.
The goal is to create news that will provide our audience with an original, accurate, informed, and simultaneously envelope-pushing POV that's totally unique.
Our News Director must be someone who has the journalistic experience and storytelling prowess to break news across all existing and emerging social platforms and shape our stories for millennial women both nationally and around the globe.
This next-generation thought leader will build and create our news operation from the ground up and will lead our national and world events coverage as it happens.
Not only will she/he build a department of writers, reporters, and editors, but they will collaborate with our video and TV teams to invent a first-class, breaking news group.
The breaking news team will have both independence and resources to shape R29 breaking news coverage into never-seen-before programming that's dynamic, authoritative, and ground-breaking.
- Lead Refinery29's breaking news coverage, work with a team of writers and reporters, and shape R29's move into consistently covering breaking news across the site (hard news, entertainment, fashion, beauty, wellness, food, and more) and on all social platforms.
- Implement first-class reporting skills and a sophisticated knowledge of how news is created and spread across the social web, developing and growing junior talent.
- Help create, package and edit news stories across all categories that's original, authoritative, timely, and shareable.
- Run strategy for live events (awards season, political conventions, fashion week, etc.) across all categories.
- Manage evening and weekend team leaders who will implement R29's 24/7 news coverage.
- Collaborate with the social team to distribute social-only breaking news across all social platforms.
- Minimum of 5-10 years experience both writing and editing news for a highly trafficked, well-regarded website
- A must-follow Twitter feed
- Proven ability to produce original reporting and breaking news stories across various categories
- Deep experience working with staff writers, freelancers and a vast knowledge of all steps of the editorial process
- A vast network of writers, reporters, editors, and contacts
- Must be a skilled digital journalist with a proven record of creating original, impactful, well-reported breaking news
- Must be both a leader and a mentor, an editor who is highly responsive to both the news cycle and the team
- Deep knowledge and experience working across various social media platforms and SEO strategies
Refinery29 is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or veteran status, or physical or mental disability.
Refinery29 does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Refinery29 employees or any other company location. Refinery29 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.