- Red Wing, MN, USA
The St. James Hotel sits along the Mississippi River in beautiful downtown Red Wing. The St. James Hotel offers old world service, luxurious amenities and culinary delights delivered by remarkable hospitality professionals.
Lead the St. James Hotel’s from-scratch pastry department. As a Pastry Chef, your passion for presentation and dedication in creating enticing desserts full of flavor will complete each guest’s experience. By taking pride in your workspace, keeping your standards high, and giving our dessert menu the benefit of your expertise, you will create some of our guests’ most lasting memories. The Pastry Chef is allowed a tremendous amount of freedom for creating our restaurant and event pastry offerings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Developing and executing pastry/wedding event menu to guide and shape new ideas for restaurant and events departments.
· Production management including but not limited to determining and executing production schedules; coordinating, planning and budgeting for all food operations; and quality control.
· Responsible for appearance and taste of all pastry items.
· Seasonal changes to menu in keeping with the St. James Hotel theme and philosophy.
· Inventory management including but not limited to procuring food ingredients and supplies needed to ensure efficient operation, meeting with sales representatives to negotiate prices or order supplies, and executing monthly total inventory count.
· Communication with the Chef and/or Manager on Duty about all pastry related issues, menu changes and/ or updates before and during Restaurant or Event service.
· Ensure all areas of the kitchen are presentable, clean, safe, and sanitary in accordance with all established procedures, standards, and health department regulations to guarantee we are handling anything consumed by our guests safely and properly.
· Handle guest complaints and problems in a professional manner to ensure a successful outcome multi-task with an impeccable eye for detail to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
· Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and three to five years related experience/training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability to produce delicious, beautiful, and appealing decorated cakes and pastries.
· Must have experience with baking, be detail oriented, be able to read and follow recipes and have a good understanding of bakery terms, procedures and industry methods.
- Able to demonstrate expertise with creating visual food presentations.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCIES
- Highly creative with modern, cutting edge development in both bakery, savory and finished desserts.
- Inspired and educated in current food trends & healthy eating.
- A genuine commitment to hospitality and guest service.
- Multi-task with an impeccable eye for detail to ensure accuracy and efficiency
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to openly communicate with people at all levels of the organization, strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a favorable working relationship with all other team members to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working environment which will be conducive to maximum team member morale, productivity and efficiency/effectiveness.
- Ability to maintain cleanliness throughout the kitchen.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Must be available to work on weekends and all Major Holidays.
- Proven ability to work safely in a kitchen environment
- Knowledge of typical baker’s equipment
- Understanding of reading standardized recipes, cooking techniques, and terminology
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, and volume.
- Knowledge of food allergens and dietary restriction preparation.
- Knowledge of F&B preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations.
- Attention to detail and interpersonal relationships with guests and employees.
- Must be able to relate to all different types of people from different cultures and backgrounds.
We Offer a Laundry List of Great Perks (including laundry)
- Competitive earning opportunities, based upon experience
- Complimentary employee meals on every shift
- Free uniforms (including free uniform laundry)
- Dining discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
St. James Hotel will not be using recruitment agencies or firms to fill this position and we will not accept unsolicited resumes or candidate information. No agency calls please.
St. James Hotel. is a drug-free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)