- Clearance: Top Secret/SCI
At RED GATE we do everything we can to serve our clients:
Using the right technical skills, unique methodologies, best practices, and integrated technology, we help clients implement bold solutions. New approaches to emerging and evolving threats. Non-traditional ways to overcome entrenched obstacles. Advantage through opportunity. If you have a serious challenge or problem, we can help you solve it. The below job description provides details on how this role will help to serve our clients.
This position will function as an Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS) Strategic Planner for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), Cooperative Threat Reduction (CTR), Program Integration Department (CT-PI). CTR supports U.S. national security by preventing the acquisition, proliferation, and use of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), related materials, technologies, and expertise. The cooperative nature of CT's efforts contributes to stability, cooperation, and expanding U.S. influence in partner states and their regions. PI’s Department provides support to the entire CT directorate and offices in 22 countries in the following areas: manpower/ human capital, training, travel, knowledge and records management, acquisition, onboarding, export control, records management, cost support controls, and property/ facilities.
The Strategic Planner in CT-PI will work as a desk officer supporting one or more geographically assigned areas that have been “determined” by OSD-P to have significant need for CTR support under US Title 50. The “Strategic Planner/Desk Officer” assists the three other departments in DTRA-CTR: Bio Threat Reduction Program (BTRP), Proliferation Prevention Program (PPP), and the Security and Elimination Program (S&E). This officer ensures that all departments are aware of operations across the CTR enterprise, across the DTRA enterprise, and in the Interagency for coordination and deconfliction as well as providing subject matter expertise and trusted advice. This officer will also work with the Regional Cooperation Engagement Officers (RCEOs) and/or DTRA Threat Reduction Officers (DTROs) stationed at some US. Embassies. All these functions culminate in CTR’s assistance to foreign partners to detect, interdict, consolidate, secure/eliminate WMD-related systems and materials, including man-made or naturally occurring pathogens.
- Maintain situational awareness of CTR threat reduction engagements in one or more Combatant Commands (CCMDs)
- Assist CTR leadership in defining requirements, establishing long-range plans, defining project and program success factors, and implementing assessment methodologies for achieving consistent, systematic processes and facilitate the identification of trends and the desired future state for the CTR Program
- Coordinate and liaison with CTR leadership, departments, and stakeholders; aid in guiding communication in support of DTRA and CTR
- Align CCMD strategies and requirements to DTRA CTR programs.
- Support working groups and interagency planning sessions to inform DoD strategic level decisions.
- Provide expertise to address strategic planning needs for functions specific to the CTR mission to include consideration of planned and potential new engagement areas.
- Provide support for organizational development, process implementation, trend monitoring, and continuous process improvement with an emphasis on ensuring critical needs are addressed in a timely manner.
- Work with the government to recommend areas for and methods of improvement and leverage best-practices from other DoD and related industry
- Support the development of responses to internal and external taskers, including information papers, strategic guidance documents, talking points, senior leader briefing, and cross-divisional efforts.
- Occasional foreign travel may be required (15-20%)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related science or engineering field (Poli Sci, IR, Business, Policy, Public Admin)
- 5+ years’ experience in strategic planning in a DoD Agency, high-level command, or similar organization (or PPBE)
- Prior Experience with DOD staff organizations (Combatant Commands, national agencies, major headquarters)
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office tool suites.
- Demonstrated ability to write for Senior Leaders
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Strong attention to detail, communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Master’s Degree
- Prior Military Experience as a Strategic/Operational Planner, a Joint Staff Assignment in the J3/J5/J7, or Foreign Area Officer/Security Cooperation Officer/Defense Attache
- Experience in the CTR Program, or similar CWMD related work (Security Cooperation, or PM cert more desired than CWMD)
- Knowledge of regional and country planning, campaign or contingency planning, or US country team
- Knowledge of Inter-agency CWMD programs
- Knowledge or experience in Bi-lateral engagements, partnerships, programs, or capacity building efforts.
The Red Gate Group, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Red Gate Group, Ltd. considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law. Know Your Rights