Cyber Operational Planner (TS/SCI)
- Arlington, VA, USA
- Clearance: Top Secret/SCI
At RED GATE we do everything we can to serve our clients:
Using the right technical skills, unique methodologies, best practices, and integrated technology, we help clients implement bold solutions. New approaches to emerging and evolving threats. Non-traditional ways to overcome entrenched obstacles. Advantage through opportunity. If you have a serious challenge or problem, we can help you solve it. The below job description provides details on how this role will help to serve our clients.
BACKGROUND: Created in November 2018 from the former National Protection and Programs Directorate, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) is the Nation’s risk advisor, working with partners to defend against today’s threats and collaborating to build more secure and resilient infrastructure for the future. The threats our Nation faces—digital and physical, manmade, technological, and natural—are more complex, and the threat actors more diverse, than at any point in our history. CISA is at the heart of mobilizing a collective defense as it leads the effort to understand and manage risk to critical infrastructure. CISA’s partners in this mission span the public, private, and non-governmental sectors. The cybersecurity, infrastructure security, and emergency communications capabilities and services CISA provides are driven by a comprehensive understanding of the risk environment and the corresponding needs identified by its partners. CISA seeks to help its partners better manage risk and increase resilience using all available resources, whether inherent to their organizations, provided by the federal government, or licensed from commercial vendors.
Within CISA, the Integrated Operations Division (IOD) encompasses a broad range of capabilities to provide stakeholders with an integrated, “whole of CISA” response to their most critical needs. Among these capabilities is an operational planning function that is responsible for developing and maintaining cross-discipline operations plans that clearly reflect CISA strategy and leadership priorities and incorporate the unique competencies, roles, and responsibilities of each of its divisions. The IOD Operational Planning team coordinates across CISA to foster a collaborative planning environment that enables the effective delivery of integrated CISA programs, services, and support to the critical infrastructure community. The team is responsible for developing and maintaining the contingency and crisis action plans, concepts of operations, standard operating procedures (SOPs), operating instructions, and other operational planning products used to guide CISA operations during Steady State, in support of special events, and in response to all-hazards threats and incidents. Red Gate provides the IOD Operational Planning team with technical writing support, planning expertise, and graphic design services. The primary role of the Program Analyst/Cyber Operational Planner is to serve as a subject matter expert (SME) on cybersecurity and the development of cyber defense operations plans.
- Provides operational planning support to CISA/IOD based on priorities established by senior leadership;
- Develops and interprets policies, procedures, and strategies governing the planning and coordination of cyber defense operations;
- Assists in the research, development, maintenance, and revision of whole-of-nation cyber defense plans to address risks and facilitate coordinated action;
- Authors internal plans, annexes, SOPs, and other operational planning products;
- Coordinates and collaborates with CISA senior leadership and SMEs; Federal Interagency partners; the private sector; state, local, tribal, and territorial government representatives; and other key stakeholders to develop and revise operational planning documents;
- Provides advice, guidance, and recommendations to leadership on critical cyber operational issues that significantly influence important agency policies and programs;
- Shares insight to shape joint understanding of challenges and opportunities for cyber defense;
- Supports joint exercises to improve cyber defense operations;
- Serves as IOD’s liaison and primary point of contact with CISA’s Cybersecurity Division and the Joint Cyber Defense Collaborative;
- Implements standard project management principles, including developing plans and schedules, estimating resource requirements, defining milestones and deliverables, monitoring activities, and evaluating and reporting on accomplishments;
- Organizes and facilitates IOD and CISA working groups and planning teams; and
- Participates in task forces, working groups, and other planning teams to support department and interagency planning initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree (emphasis in Communications, Cybersecurity, Emergency Management, English, Government, Homeland Security, Information Technology, or Public Policy/Administration preferred)
- At least 5 years of experience developing, executing, and/or evaluating cyber defense operations plans
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and effective communication products for executive senior leadership
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively in a diverse small team environment to produce high quality results under tight deadlines
- Ability to multi-task effectively and manage and/or support multiple projects concurrently
- Familiarity with operational planning processes and fundamental cyber operations concepts, terminology, principles, capabilities, limitations, and effects
- Knowledge of federal authorities related to operational planning, cybersecurity, information security, and cyber defense operations
- Strong meeting coordination and facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office software package
- Experience supporting federal government customers (DHS experience preferred)
The Red Gate Group, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Red Gate Group, Ltd. considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law. EEO is the Law