Matron (Specialist Hospital)
- Lagos, Nigeria
Our client is a modern specialist medical care center located in the heart of Abuja and in Lagos, Nigeria.With an aim to provide high standard healthcare services.
As a matron, you will primarily be responsible for supervising nurses and nurse managers, facilitating the design and implementing the delivery of patient care, recommending strategies to improve services, reaching established goals, maintaining satisfactory outcomes and contributing to profitability.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Providing line management and professional leadership to ward managers and specialist nurses/midwives and other staff.
2. Ensuring patient/client/carer involvement in development of services and environmental standards.
3. Responsible for supervision of overall nursing care of the patient.
4. Coordinating pre-Op and Post-op patients care.
5. Checking patients dressing for any oozing and taking corrective measures.
6. Assisting in procedure as and when required.
7. Ensuring proper admission, transfer, and discharge process for all the patients in the wards.
8. Ensure safety, comfort and privacy of the patients.
9. Ensuring the implementation of the doctors’ orders.
10. Supervise maintaining records and reports.
11. Ensuring visibility and accessibility to patients, families and carers.
12. Ensuring patients receive quality care
13. Monitoring the activities of subordinate staff to ensuring patients are treated with respect at all times.
14. Dealing properly with any adverse situation in ward, bringing it to the notice of superiors and raising incident reports.
15. Supervision of return non-consumed medicines before discharge of the patient.
16. Maintain proper record for medication error, adverse drug reaction, patient fall etc
17. Dealing with patients’ complaints and concerns, and escalating issues which require further intervention.
18. Ensuring patients’ nutritional needs are met, and taking measures to prevent hospital-acquired infections.
19. Attending doctors’ rounds and assisting with diagnosis and medical procedures as directed.
20. Assessing evaluating and planning the requirements of different level of staff and their need in the work situation.
21. Providing specialist education and training to other staff;
22. Ensuring compliance with, and policies, procedures and guidelines
23. Assessing and evaluating the different clinical services and facilities available.
24. Improving hospital cleanliness and ensuring patients’ needs are promptly met.
25. Planning and delegating responsibility to different levels of staff according to the need of the situation and their ability.
26. Making periodic schedules for nurses, healthcare assistants and domestic staff.
27. Participating in preparation of annual budget to run the nursing department efficiently.
28. Maintaining effective communication within the organization and outside the organization.
29. Planning and processing through appropriate channel for necessary supplies and equipment.
30. Participating in recruitment of nursing and non-nursing personnel.
31. Planning, conducting and participating in a staff meeting with nurses and other Clinical activities.
32. Supervising service education and training programmes regularly.
33. Supervising subordinate activities regularly to improve performance.
34. Providing feedback to nursing personnel on their clinical performance.
35. Assessing nurses’ performance, while providing mentoring and feedback.
36. Completing annual performance evaluation for self and employees and implement plans of correction when needed
37. Using problem solving and conflict resolution skills to foster effective work relationships with team members
38. Maintaining required competencies for self and all employees within the department
39. Assisting in maintenance of a safe and clean environment.
40. Researching and staying up-to-date on the latest updates and information regarding nursing care practices.
41. Participate in the identification, development and delivery of education, training and personal/professional development for nursing and support staff.
- Excellent leadership Skills
- Excellent Administrative Skills
- Excellent Clients service Skills
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant legal and professional care/practice standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective presentation and IT (Microsoft office) skills
- Must be a RN & RM with years' Post Qualification
- 15 years experience in active nursing profession
- Must provide proof of a valid license.
- Must have previous Management experience
- BSc Nursing with a Management qualification is an added advantage
- Administration skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Organization skill.
- Must be able to multi-task and be in places where needed