Violin Instructor, Sistema Ravinia Waukegan
- Waukegan, IL
Ravinia, North America's oldest music festival, nestled in the Chicago suburbs, presents over 140 different events throughout the summer. These concerts run the gamut from Yo-Yo Ma to John Legend to the annual summer residency of the nation's finest orchestra, The Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Through its REACH*TEACH*PLAY education programs, Ravinia brings music to over 85,000 people in Chicago area schools and communities. Our portfolio of programs is designed to foster diverse audience involvement and provide access to the highest quality music education and live music experiences to those with the fewest resources.
A signature program of REACH*TEACH*PLAY, Sistema Ravinia offers intensive afterschool music education to students in under-resourced schools in Chicago and Lake County. Sistema Ravinia fosters youth empowerment and social development through exceptional ensemble training. Participating students meet daily throughout the year at their nucleo (program site) and are taught in sectionals and in full orchestra. Shaped by the philosophy of the noted El Sistema model, Ravinia has embraced the notion of transforming groups of children into communities of musicians who in turn transform their communities. Students receive mentorship from teachers and administrators that make them feel loved and valued as an asset to their nucleo community.
The Violin/Viola Instructor will be responsible for teaching students in small and large groups and implementing an innovative curriculum. All instructors will work as a team to inspire students while maintaining a standard of excellence. Sistema Ravinia is in session during the school year and 5 weeks during the summer. This position reports to Sistema Ravinia’s Nucleo Manager and is paid an hourly rate.
Duties and Responsibilities
•Collaborate with the Nucleo Manager to provide high-quality orchestral instruction for every student
•Teach small and large group sectionals and ensembles
•Assist with full orchestra rehearsals when needed (tuning instruments, reinforcing conductor instruction)
•Active participation in faculty development sessions to help create and implement shared ideals, an innovative curriculum and pedagogy that supports each child holistically
•Assess student progress (musical literacy, proficiency and appreciation) on an ongoing basis
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Enthusiasm for El Sistema model and its philosophy of social change through music
• Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and community
• Superior interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in music preferred
• Strong background in music education with experience teaching beginners, teaching in a group setting and leading ensembles
• Experience and desire to work in underserved communities and with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
• Working after school in Waukegan with some evenings and weekends required for concerts and special activities. Regular hours: 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm Mondays - Thursdays.
• Interaction with young students, parents and administrators where the safety of the students is paramount
Ravinia is an equal opportunity employer.