Low Strings Instructor (Cello Specialist), Sistema Ravinia Youth Orchestra Program - Waukegan
- Waukegan, IL, USA
Ravinia, North America's oldest music festival, stands today as its most musically diverse, presenting over 140 different events throughout the summer. These concerts run the gambit from Yo-Yo Ma to John Legend to the annual summer residency of the nation's finest orchestra, The Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
The 36-acre park is nestled in a gently wooded area that makes it an enchanting place to experience music. Guests can bring their own picnics or eat at one of the park restaurants.
As a nonprofit organization, community outreach and music education initiatives are our mission. Over 75,000 people are served through Ravinia's Reach*Teach*Play programs each year, ensuring that great music remains accessible to all.
Through its REACH*TEACH*PLAY education programs, Ravinia brings music to Chicago area schools and communities. Cello instructors will provide sectional instruction and assist in large ensembles at participating Sistema Ravinia schools located in Lake County (Waukegan/Highwood). Inspired by the influential El Sistema model, students in the program receive daily ensemble and orchestra instruction in their chosen instrument. Sistema Ravinia fosters social development through exceptional music training for underserved students.
Description of Position
The Low Strings Instructor will be responsible for teaching students at their school in small and large groups and implementing an innovative curriculum. All instructors will work as a team to inspire students while maintaining a standard of excellence. Sistema Ravinia is in session during the school year and 5 weeks during the summer. This position reports to Sistema Ravinia’s Nucleo Manager and is paid an hourly rate.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborate with the Nucleo Manager to provide high-quality orchestral instruction for every student
• Teach small and large group sectionals and ensembles
• Assist with full orchestra rehearsals when needed (tuning instruments, reinforcing conductor instruction)
• Active participation in faculty development sessions to help create and implement shared ideals, an innovative curriculum and pedagogy that supports each child holistically
• Assess student progress (musical literacy, proficiency and appreciation) on an ongoing basis
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Enthusiasm for El Sistema model and its philosophy of social change through music
• Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and community
• Superior interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in music preferred
• Strong background in music education with experience teaching beginners, teaching in a group setting and leading ensembles
• Experience and desire to work in underserved communities and with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
• Working at participating school locations. Hours: 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm Mondays - Thursdays.
• Working after school with some evenings and weekends required for concerts and special activities
• Interaction with young students, parents and administrators where the safety of the students is paramount
Ravinia is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants must attach a cover letter and resume to apply
No phone calls please