Technical Editor - Mississauga
- 151 Courtneypark Dr W, Mississauga, ON L5W 1Y4, Canada
Do you thrive in a fun and challenging work environment? Do you want to work with interesting people who support your success? Go ahead… keep reading!
ASCENT, a division of Rand Worldwide, is the leading developer of high-quality professional training and knowledge products for engineering software applications. ASCENT is unique in the CAD and BIM marketplace for having made a very significant investment in developing innovative solutions for Education services. No other organization can match the dedication to training solution development in terms of mission, focus, investment, and personnel. We are not constrained to a one-solution-fits-all approach, but instead work with our clients to find the right solution. Our clients and partners have selected ASCENT’s training curriculum over others because of the instructional quality and ASCENT’s ability to customize to meet specific requirements.
We are seeking a Technical Editor to join the courseware development team of ASCENT. The position is responsible for the editing, proofreading, and some development of a variety of training and documentation products, including content for web-based and instructor-led training for engineering CAD software. The successful candidate will have technical editing skills; an understanding of software and/or training documentation; computer skills; and an aptitude for customer service.
As a Technical Editor you will create impact by:
- Formatting, proofreading and editing software training content.
- Ensuring adherence to style and formatting standards.
- Preparing documents for digital and hard-copy distribution.
- Working with project managers to ensure that all items required for releasing learning content are complete, manage project file structure, and release the project to printing/fulfillment and sales/marketing.
- Working with single-source publishing of books in various formats, such as PDF, eBook, and web-based training.
- Publishing and manipulating content in a Learning Management System for eLearning delivery
- Estimating scope and effort of work.
- Interviewing subject-matter experts and participate in learning content development.
- Minimum 3 years of experience editing or writing, preferably in a technical or software environment.
- Post-secondary certificate in technical communications/technical writing or relevant experience.
- An understanding of page layout for multi-format publications.
- Knowledge of Adobe FrameMaker (or similar desktop publishing software), including use of books, templates, table of contents, headers/footers, section breaks, figure/table captions etc.
- Knowledge of MadCap Flare would be an asset.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat, HTML/CSS, Adobe Captivate, and graphic manipulation tools would be an asset.
- Familiarity with CAD software or engineering practices would be an asset.
Other requirements to be successful in the role:
- Detail-oriented self-starter, with the ability to stay focused on multiple tasks and manage projects at different stages, meet deadlines, and make decisions within the domain of the role.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Team player, with the ability to collaborate across the organization.
- Very strong interpersonal skills with a sincere desire to make a difference for our customers.
- Exemplary communications skills (e-mail, in-person, phone) with co-workers at all levels of the organization.
- Willing to take risk and be accountable for decisions.
What’s in it for you?
- The opportunity to be part of a company where you’ll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment with great benefits, including matching RRSP and a fun work environment with a business casual dress code.
We celebrate employment equality and diversity! We encourage applications from all qualified individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state, provincial or local laws. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Visit us at http://www.rand.com for more information.