Mid to Senior (or Team Leader) Ecologist / Botanist - Sydney OR Newcastle
- Newcastle, Australia
RPS is a global network of professionals who provide world-class consultancy solutions in energy, resources, mining, infrastructure, environment and urban growth.
Are you sick of conducting mundane impact assessments or monitoring for the sake of monitoring with little scientific inference? If so, come and join our large team of ten passionate ecologists who take objective approaches based on Before After Control Impact (BACI) designed research and monitoring which couples with the latest in technologies (e.g. LiDAR, Near Infrared & RGB flights). We produce quantifiable outcomes using Soil Adjusted Normalised Difference Vegetation Index (SANDVI) and habitat models.
RPS is looking to appoint a Senior Ecologist or Botanist to their team on a permanent basis. With the role based in Sydney or Newcastle we are seeking an energetic team member with experience working across NSW in varying landscapes.
You will be tasked with project delivery to a budget and timeframe as well as all relevant local, state, and federal legislative requirements. The role includes building and maintaining client relationships and will be involved in hands on flora and fauna related targeted threatened species surveys, plant and plant community type identification, impact assessments, and research and monitoring programs primarily in the land development, infrastructure and mining sectors.You will hit the ground running with an established workload and existing client base, that will enable you to:
- Deliver environmental solutions on major development and infrastructure projects; and
- Develop your project management skills within a consultancy setting to work on impact assessments, management plans, flora and fauna monitoring and natural area management.
- Capability to autonomously generate plant species lists;
- The skills necessary to identify and delineate vegetation communities and align them with plant community types;
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications in either Botany, Ecology, Environmental Science and/or other related degree;
- 7+ years demonstrated experience in a combination of office and field work;
- Sound knowledge of environmental legislation and approval processes;
- Communication and presentation skills;
- Willingness to travel;
- Proven experience in proposal development and working as part of a team; and
- Preferably the successful candidate will be a Biodiversity Assessment Methodology (BAM) Accredited Person.
RPS will provide you with a generous remuneration + career development opportunities + paid parental leave + active life allowance and more.