Mental Health Counselor (PRN, Part-Time Position)
- 1900 Selwyn Ave, Charlotte, NC 28274, USA
Summary: The counselor provides individual and group counseling, assessment, outreach education, consultation and referral services with regard to psychological, emotional and behavioral concerns of students. Flexibility in scheduling for this part-time, August-through-May position is based on demand (estimated at between 20-29 hours per week during the academic year (August to May).
• Perform individual and group psychotherapy, in compliance with individual NC state licensing board.
• Assess student mental health needs for appropriate level of care.
• Coordinate client care with the Health and Wellness Center (HWC) treatment team/or refer to other providers or resources as needed.
• Complete all required documentation and maintain client records
• Provide clinical feedback and support to Associate Director
• Ensure Associate Director is up-to-date and informed of any high-risk cases
• Complete utilization reports
• Participate in and develop campus programs pertaining to mental health and wellness
• Serve as liaison between University and specialized assessment and /or treatment providers
• Perform assigned duties to assist the HWC team with administrative functions of the HWC
• Maintain knowledge of University services and initiatives
• Work collaboratively with HWC treatment team, participate in administrative meetings and assigned committees.
• Maintain social media sites for HWC
• Other duties and special projects may be assigned to meet department and university needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required:
• Licensed provider of counseling/psychotherapy (e.g. Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Licensed Clinical Social Worker)
• Fully licensed provider preferred, but will consider provisionally licensed clinicians
• Minimum two years’ counseling/psychotherapy experience required; experience with college students and young adults strongly preferred
• Experience writing clinical summaries, using web-based scheduling system, and evaluating utilization
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a high-functioning team
• Excellent organization and follow-up / follow-through skills to ensure completion of assignments within established timeframes.
• Some evening and weekend hours required to meet demands of the position.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and a gift for identifying information that should be escalated immediately.
• Proven attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
• Maintain irreproachable confidentiality of all information; FERPA experience a plus.
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
• Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system.
• Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students.
• Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems.
• Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus.
• Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in conditions – 75‐100% of the time.
• Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, service providers and vendors.
• Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
The above description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this positions, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of this position.
Must provide a cover letter and salary requirement to be considered for this position.
The position will be removed from the website once an offer is extended and accepted, or when a sufficient candidate pool is identified. Only candidates who best match requirements of job will be contacted. Due to limited staff resources, phone calls cannot be accepted or returned.
Queens offers some benefits to part-time employees, including ability to contribute to the university’s supplemental retirement plan (403(b)). In addition, employees may choose benefits such as pet insurance, critical care insurance and legal assistance.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-educational, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university located in the heart of Myers Park in Charlotte, NC, and is consistently ranked in the top tier of Southern Regional Masters Universities. The university has over 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students in programs offered six colleges/schools. Additional information about may be found at http://www.queens.edu.
Queens values campus diversity and demonstrates this in campus initiatives; we particularly encourage members of historically under-represented groups to apply.
Queens University of Charlotte is firmly committed to supporting and celebrating all forms of diversity. Queens does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex (including pregnancy, child birth and conditions related to pregnancy or child birth), gender orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, national origin, disability, political beliefs, veteran status, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs, employment and hiring policies, or other university-administered programs. Any applicant for employment who needs any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Director of Human Resources at 704.337.2297.
If this sounds like the right job for you, then use the button below to submit your resume. We look forward to receiving your application.