- Charlotte, NC
Summary: Queens seeks a talented and energetic Benefits Specialist to contribute to the university’s small but mighty human resources team. This position requires a strong, hands-on foundation in benefits administration. The successful candidate will be comfortable working independently and collaboratively, responding to requests, maintaining current process and identifying creative new solutions to improve the university’s benefit offerings. Crucial to this role is maintaining a current knowledge of governmental / legal landscape and developing proactive solutions to ensure Queens’ and Queens’ employees’ best interests are served and protected. Additionally, the ideal incumbent will demonstrate an interest in developing skills in talent acquisition and onboarding employees. This full-time position reports to the Director of Human Resources and is exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore is not eligible to earn overtime pay or compensatory time off for additional hours worked.
NOTE: Please enter salary requirements if you apply; submissions without salary information cannot be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Benefits Administration (must have / must enjoy)
* Serves as the primary point of contact for all aspects of employee benefits; respond to employee questions regarding employment and benefits in an accurate, timely and helpful manner
* Manage Queens’ section 125 employee benefit plans (Medical, Dental, Life, AD&D, LTD, FSA, HSA), as well as COBRA, FMLA, workers compensation, retirement plans and ancillary/voluntary benefit offerings
* Coordinate annual reporting (IRS 5500, ACA 1095-C, et al) on all plans and ensure audits are completed according to schedule
* Facilitate annual open enrollment, including conducting employee information sessions, preparing and distributing benefit communications, updating myQueens pages
* Serve as a fiduciary member of the university’s retirement plan investment committee
* Complete year-end testing and non-discrimination testing on all benefit plans
* Advise employees on leave of absence policies – FMLA, Parental Leave, and others
* Produce annual Total Rewards Statements for faculty and staff
* Develop and maintain benefits intranet site, ensuring accurate and fresh content
Administration / Records Management (preferred)
* Respond to verification of employment requests
* Document and update records of HR procedures related to areas of responsibility
* Research impact of governmental / legal changes and benefits best practices, develop and propose viable solutions to roadblocks and problems
* Update organizational charts
* Supervise office intern(s) and work study student(s)
* Work with payroll to ensure deductions and paychecks are timely and correct
Once mastery is demonstrated in the above areas, it is anticipated this position will learn some of the following:
* Conduct new employee orientation with an eye toward continual improvement of Queens’ onboarding process
* Prepare and send offer letters
* Edit position descriptions, post jobs to website and job boards, refer resumes to managers and track recruiting efforts; may interview candidates
* Research and implement recruiting and selection improvements
* Complete employee background checks and verify employment eligibility (I-9 / e-Verify)
* Conduct candidate assessment and testing
* Other duties will be assigned as needed to meet department and university goals
Experience, Knowledge and Skills Required
* At least five years’ experience in benefits and wellness administration. Familiarity with talent acquisition, employee communications, etc. Higher education experience preferred and not required
* Excellent customer service skills and the ability to develop and maintain rapport with a wide range of individuals
* Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
* Excellent organization, planning and time management skills. Proficiency in priority-setting and follow-through skills required to ensure self-propelled completion of objectives
* Proven ability to maintain the utmost confidentiality at all times
* Strong verbal and written communication skills, including small and large-group presentation skills
* Strong reasoning skills and the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and make well-thought-through recommendations
* Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and proven ability to quickly learn and apply new software solutions; Jenzabar and OrgPlus software experience preferred, as is experience with web technology and developing and maintaining web pages
* Ability to work effectively independently as well as collaboratively
* Track record of demonstrating appropriate initiative and self-direction; a self-starter who is flexible and adaptable
* High level of energy, personal integrity and professionalism
* Availability to occasionally work a flexible schedule, including nights and/or weekends to meet demands of the position
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education; PHR or SPHR // SHRM-SCP or SHRM-CP designation strongly preferred
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
• Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system – 75-100% of the time
• Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors and students – 75-100% of the time.
• Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems – 75-100% of the time
• Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus – 75-100% of the time
• Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly – 75-100% of the time
• Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 30 pounds for force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects – 50-74% of the time.
• Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in conditions – 75-100% of the time
Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, parents, and vendors
Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times
Queens offers comprehensive benefits to eligible employees, including: medical (PPO options and high deductible plan) dental insurance, vision, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution retirement plan & supplemental retirement plan, vacation and paid holidays, tuition remission, Queens-paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, Health Savings Account), sick leave and long-term disability leave, FMLA leave, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, employee assistance program (EAP), wellness programs. In addition, employees may choose voluntary benefits such as pet insurance, critical care insurance and legal assistance.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-educational, Presbyterian-affiliated comprehensive university located in the heart of Myers Park in Charlotte, NC, and is consistently ranked in the top tier of Southern Regional Masters Universities. The university has over 2,200 undergraduate and graduate students in programs offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the James L. Knight School of Communication, the Wayland H. Cato Jr. School of Education, the Andrew Blair College of Health and the Presbyterian School of Nursing. Additional information about may be found at http://www.queens.edu.
Queens values campus diversity and demonstrates this in campus initiatives; we particularly encourage members of historically under-represented groups to apply. Only candidates who best match requirements of job will be contacted. The position will be removed from the website once an offer is extended and accepted, or when a sufficient candidate pool is identified. Due to limited staff resources, phone calls cannot be accepted or returned.
Queens University of Charlotte is an equal opportunity employer and is firmly committed to supporting and celebrating all forms of diversity. Queens does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex (including pregnancy, child birth and conditions related to pregnancy or child birth), gender orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, national origin, disability, political beliefs, veteran status, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs, employment and hiring policies, or other university-administered programs. Any applicant for employment who needs any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Director of Human Resources at 704.337.2297.