Instructional Design Specialist
- Remote - Annapolis, MD, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Quality Matters (QM) is an international organization that is recognized as a leader in quality assurance for online education. QM is a nonprofit organization comprised of a dedicated staff that works together virtually—from cities all over the United States—to support everyone’s quality assurance goals.
Design and develop new professional development offerings that embody the underlying principles of and support the brand of QM as assigned for all QM programs
- Contribute to needs analysis for new professional development offerings that meet client needs and generate new revenue streams. Clients include post-secondary education institutions, K-12 education, continuing education and professional development programs, and similar agencies.
- Follow existing QM processes and protocols and adhere to established QM style guidelines and templates for the design and development of new offerings.
- Apply appropriate instructional design models and theories.
- Collaborate with designated subject matter experts to develop learning objectives, assessments, instructional materials, and learning activities that align with each other and engage participants.
- Use approved technologies in the design and development of new offerings.
- Identify instructional technology needs and, in collaboration with Instructional Technologist, research, analyze, and recommend additional technologies for approval.
- Develop alignment maps for all professional development offerings.
- Ensure newly developed offerings are designed to meet QM Rubric Standards.
- Assist the Instructional Design Manager in coordinating with members of the Professional Development team and QM staff to ensure new offerings are launched according to schedule.
Maintain and continuously improve existing professional development offerings as assigned for all QM programs
- Update and strengthen existing QM offerings periodically and as needed.
- Address content and design-related issues reported in existing offerings.
- Implement suggestions for improvement to existing offerings.
- Maintain currency in the instructional design field.
Manage internal and external relationships
- Communicate (by phone, email, website, etc.) professional development products and processes as needed to clients and QM staff.
- Coordinate with Senior Manager of Professional Development, Manager of Professional Certification Programs, Professional Development Registrar, Facilitators, and Facilitator Mentor as necessary to enforce QM standards, policies, and practices across the curriculum.
Collaborate as a member of the Quality Matters (QM) Team
- Coordinate and cooperate with QM staff to ensure QM mission, programs, products, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Work with QM staff/team to meet the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
- Regardless of physical location, all QM employees are required to be available to attend the synchronous core schedule of M-F, 10a-3p, ET and participate in weekly staff meetings. (Exceptions on a per case basis).
- Attend in-person QM conferences as requested and any required organizational or planning meetings.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
Required Technology Proficiencies:
- Experience developing courses in a learning management system (Canvas preferred)
- Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Google applications, particularly Google Docs, Slides, Sheets
- Email and real-time digital communication tools (Gmail, Skype, and Zoom preferred)
- Capable of quickly learning additional technologies that support the goals of QM
- File system naming protocols and management
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Three years' experience in an instructional design or closely related position that includes creating and developing professional development in a variety of modalities (online synchronous, online asynchronous, face-to-face, etc.) for adult learners.
- Experience designing courses for delivery in a learning management system.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory.
- Experience designing courses using Universal Design for Learning and developing accessible online courses or workshops.
- Experience with the application of the QM Rubric.
- Disciplined self-starter, highly productive in a virtual environment, as evidenced by past success.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills, including the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines consistently.
- Access to reliable high speed internet.
- Master’s degree in instructional design or related field
- Four or more years' experience in an instructional design or closely related position that includes developing professional development in a variety of modalities (online synchronous, online asynchronous, face-to-face, etc.) for adult learners.
- Experience designing courses for delivery in the Canvas learning management system.
- Completion of QM Professional Development/held QM-Certified Roles (Peer Reviewer, K-12 Reviewer, Master Reviewer, Online Facilitator, Face-to-Face Facilitator, etc.)
- Experience using SoftChalk, CourseArc, or another content authoring tool to develop content for online courses.
- Experience developing instructional graphics and/or videos.
- Experience in both post-secondary and K-12 education.
- Online teaching experience in higher education or K-12.
- Experience in a remote/virtual position.
QM operates a virtual office, and this will be a remote, home-based position. Applicants must reside in one of the following states to be considered for this position: CT, FL, IL, IN, KS, MD, MI, MO, NM, NV, OH, OR, PA, SC, TX, or WA. You should also have access to reliable high-speed internet.
The salary range for this position is $56,000 - $58,000. We provide our employees with a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, 401(k), 12 paid holidays, paid vacation and paid sick leave.
Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently communicating by phone and email; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
Come join Quality Matters and help us promote and improve the quality of online education and student learning. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Quality Matters is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.