Lead Software Engineer
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Who is Purpose Investments:
Purpose Investments is a client-first, independent asset management firm with ~$7B in AUM.
We were founded in 2013 on a simple principle: Given access to a better set of investment solutions, Canadians will be more successful.
For our growing cadre of institutional clients, our solutions range from bespoke investment pools to separately managed accounts to more traditional investment funds.
We work actively with our clients, bringing together our proven expertise across asset classes (e.g., liquid alternatives, active fixed income and private markets) and our entrepreneurial nature. Our clients often approach us to help them address needs for which solutions do not exist in market.
We are primarily employee owned with minority investments from OMERS and Torquest.
At Purpose Investments, we’re trying to change our industry, and are looking for a talented Lead Software Engineer who can bring their passion for building digital products to our team. Do you know all the financial and investment collateral that you’re so used to seeing? The bland, boring, and uninspiring work, that is the furthest thing from good execution. Well, we want ours to be the opposite of that. We want our digital touchpoints to be as user friendly, seamless and customer centric, as we’d want for ourselves. We’re trying to raise the bar higher.
We want you to be proud of the work you do each day. There’s a lot of work to be done, and we’re looking for someone to work alongside our VP Customer Experience and Marketing, channeling our CEO’s vision, and bringing our story to life in a creative way. The opportunity is there. It’s your job to seize it.
As a Lead Software Engineer you’ll be:
- Influencing and leading the direction of Purpose’s brand for all our digital products.
- A part of a fully engaged multidisciplinary team of developers, designers, marketers and business intelligence professionals, moving Purpose forward.
- Participating in brainstorm sessions and working on projects from concept to post-production.
- Questioning everything, while pushing for strong executions each time.
- Collaborating with and supporting internal teams and departments with their needs.
The skills and experience we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience as a developer, building tools and functionality for websites and portals.
- Accountable for React, Gatsby, Express, TailwindCSS, Storybook, NextJS, modifications as needed to customize website.
- Knowledge of Ubuntu Linux servers on AWS
- Experience with the following content management systems: Contentful, WordPress, Ghost CMS, and ensure content is developed for SEO
- Knowledge of database design in mySQL and Postgres.
- Design and implement low-latency, high-availability, and performant APIs
- Partner with internal stakeholders to define API interfaces that are used both for our website and by our business intelligence team.
- Be involved with writing efficient and technically challenging code that interfaces with numerous internal and 3rd party systems.
- QA testing of websites for functionality and usability.
- Monitor performance, maintenance, site usage and logs, site security, and troubleshoot errors.
- Work closely with peers on joint projects as we receive directions from internal stakeholders.
- Strong leadership and presentation skills.
Some more stuff about us:
- The first thing you should know is, we just moved into a gorgeous, brand new space in the heart of the financial district, with tons of windows and great views of the city.
- Second, the office is casual, so you won’t be stuck around a bunch of suits.
- We work in an open concept space with stand up-sit down desks, but also have quiet rooms for thinking, concentration and private meetings/calls.
- The kitchen is stocked with snacks, has a slick coffee/espresso machine and a SodaStream.
- With our move we’ve introduced team Friday lunches, to build comradery among the team, since at times we can get pretty focused on trying to move our business forward.
If this is an opportunity that sounds interesting to you (more like you than not) and you’re intrigued to learn more, we would love to hear from you!
Purpose Investments is an equal employer and we are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and barrier-free work environment for all employees and candidates. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply and if accommodation is required during any stage of the recruitment process, please contact any member of the Talent team. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.