Analyst, Risk & Modeling
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Thinking Capital (“TC”) is Canada’s leading online small business lender, and a pioneer in the Canadian fintech space. Since 2006, TC has helped more than 15,000 small-to-medium sized Canadian businesses reach their full potential, by providing timely capital to support their growth.
Mission: “To be the trusted partner to business owners, ensuring they have the capital and resources they need to thrive, through the successes and the challenges of the business journey.”
Thinking Capital is part of the Purpose Financial family of companies, a technology-driven financial services platform that is re-imaging how financial services supports its customers.
Leveraging our success in the FinTech industry, we are building the next-generation lending platform designed to allow us to own the rails on which small businesses access capital in Canada. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
The Thinking Capital Risk Management team is responsible for overseeing risk management activities including developing and supporting process improvements and risk models that create a robust governance culture and finding ways to transform risk management into a competitive advantage for the company.
We are seeking to bring onboard an Analyst, Risk & Modeling to support Thinking Capital’s fast growth. Reporting the Director, Risk & Modeling, you will support various aspects of Thinking Capital’s Enterprise Risk Management including assisting with the quarterly risk assessment process, helping manage corporate policies and building reporting capabilities in our Governance Risk and Compliance tool, assist in building enterprise risk models used for pricing and underwriting purposes.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability and versatility to take on new challenges and tasks, and is able to wear many hats working on a variety of different projects.
a. Data mining, modelling and analysis:
- Conduct deep analysis to diagnose, report and document drivers of unexpected changes to portfolio/origination composition and credit performance;
- Support the Director of Risk by assisting in the development of risk models for the purposes of origination, account management and collections;
- Work on improving the portfolio’s risk-reward to perform analysis leading to credit strategy optimization customer risk segmentation development.
b. Forecasting and reporting:
- Work with the Director, Risk & Modeling to forecast key business metrics including loss rates, approval rates, loan conversion rates, and credit quality for new initiatives and marketing campaigns;
- Develop and maintain a standard set of risk and performance reports that evaluate the overall credit risk of the portfolio;
- Conduct sensitivity and scenario analysis to understand the impact of exogenous factors, policy and operational changes on delinquency and charge off levels;
- Support the Risk Leadership team in implementing changes to credit adjudication process.
- 2-5 years in a Risk Management role at the FinTech or Banking industries;
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Computer Science, or Business-related fields;
- Love having FUN at work;
- Knowledge of credit risk and portfolio management, quantitative methodologies, risk models and tools;
- Strong technical knowledge of statistical analysis, modeling techniques and their application in a credit risk environment;
- Possess a solid understanding of data extraction/mining/modeling utilizing tools such as SAS and SQL;
- Thrives on working with, and in leading others in a “hands-on” capacity sharing best practices and coaching for future development;
- An energetic and performance-oriented individual with well-developed critical thinking skills and a bias for action;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; proven ability to leverage data in decision making;
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others;
- Someone who is prefers shades of gray over black and white;
Thinking Capital Values:
- For entrepreneurs: Our customers are more than transactions – we strive to support their sustained success
- One team, one dream: We thrive off collaboration, celebrate our wins, collectively own our failures, and have fun throughout
- Get shit done: Through resilience and grit, we take risks, action new ideas quickly, and learn fast from our experiences
- Invest in people: We create opportunities for our employees to reach up, and encourage entrepreneurialism
- Forget the status quo: We’re optimists, we embrace change and forward thinking, and innovate on behalf of our customers
- Keep it simple: We strive to deliver the most efficient and seamless customer experience possible
Why work for Thinking Capital:
- Great team: Surround yourself with a high-performing, energetic and passionate group of people dedicated to the Thinking Capital mission
Fintech revolution: Be part of a team that is revolutionizing the financial system and redefining how Canadian small businesses access capital
- Purpose Financial: Thinking Capital is a part of Purpose Financial, a group of strategically-aligned companies that are driving changes to how financial products and services are delivered to meet the true needs of consumer and business customers
- Powerful partnerships: We work with some of North America's largest banks, payment processors, technology providers and other groups committed to the success of Canadian SMEs including CIBC, National Bank, Equifax, Staples, Moneris and many more
- Fast-paced environment: Take on complex projects in a start-up like collaborative environment
- Amazing culture: Modern workspaces, advanced technology tools, collaborative and team-centric environment, awesome work events, and more…