Head of Institutional Sales
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Who is Purpose Investments:
Purpose Investments is a client-first, independent asset management firm with ~$7B in AUM.
We were founded in 2013 on a simple principle: Given access to a better set of investment solutions, Canadians will be more successful.
For our growing cadre of institutional clients, our solutions range from bespoke investment pools to separately managed accounts to more traditional investment funds.
We work actively with our clients, bringing together our proven expertise across asset classes (e.g., liquid alternatives, active fixed income and private markets) and our entrepreneurial nature. Our clients often approach us to help them address needs for which solutions do not exist in market.
We are primarily employee owned with minority investments from OMERS and Torquest.
The ideal candidate will rise to the challenge of growing Purpose into a $20B+ asset manager.
This individual will be responsible for Purpose’s sales to Institutional investors, including family offices, endowments, foundations and pensions funds. This individual in the role will have an opportunity to set the team’s strategy, build out a high-impact team and step into an existing portfolio of institutional relationships.
The ideal candidate for this role will be both experienced in institutional coverage and entrepreneurial by nature. He or she will have a passion for building and managing client relationships, delivering strong financial performance and developing talent. He / she will be comfortable with ambiguity and the demands that naturally arise from rapid growth.
This is a new role, for Purpose, and reports to our President.
- Build Coverage Approach
- Identify and know our clients and prospects. Listen to our clients’ feedback. Deeply understand their challenges. Prioritize client segments and specific clients.
- Lead client coverage. Manage our relationships with priority institutional clients and prospects, delegating, where appropriate to junior team. Ensure differentiated service.
- Be a brand ambassador. Represent Purpose’s mission. Communicate our story with stakeholders with passion and authenticity. Consider and help refine branding for Institutional audience.
- Revenue Growth
- Own the sales plan. Create regional sales forecasts and related targets. Create an anticipatory, proactive, and responsive data driven sales plan.
- Deliver on ambitious sales targets. Ensure capabilities and resources to deliver. Remove roadblocks. Leverage PI senior management and relationships.
- Develop prospects. Identify “white-space” for our sales team. Prioritize the opportunities given resources available. Execute strategies geared to new clients.
- Talent Development and Mentorship
- Hire well. Lead ongoing recruiting of strong institutional sales professionals. Onboard team members for success. Focus on strength of cultural fit.
- Build Capabilities. Coach members of the team. Develop both investments knowledge and sales capabilities. Deliver both day-to-day and structured feedback.
- Lead by example. Foster a positive, hard-working and results-oriented culture.
- Product Innovation
- Support products development. Work with clients and our Product team to create the products our clients wants. Help amend, where appropriate, existing retail products for institutional market.
- Suport marketing. Contribute to overall marketing strategy. Constantly deliver client and market feedback internally to the team.
- Build Coverage Approach
- Help guide Purpose. Be part of the PI leadership team. Actively participate in business decisions to enhance the overall performance of the firm.
- Drive efficiency. Improvement of processes to enhance productivity. Ensure tight integration across teams within Purpose.
- Safeguard the firm. Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- 10+ years of institutional sales experience; consultative selling experience preferred.
- Strong familiarity with both firms and people across the Canadian investments landscape.
- Deep experience and fluency with investment solutions.
- Experience managing a small team of sales professionals.
- Analytics-first approach to sales; preference for data informing actions.
- Comfort working in a fast growing and entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- ‘Winning’ mindset; strong goal orientation.
- Ability to travel when required.
Purpose Financial LP is an equal employer and we are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and barrier-free work environment for all employees and candidates. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply and if accommodation is required during any stage of the recruitment process, please contact any member of the Talent team. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.