Analyst, Risk & Modeling
- Montreal, Canada
About the company:
Thinking Capital is the leader in the Canadian Alternative Lending space, using technology to be at the forefront of the FinTech industry. Since 2006, they have helped more than 10,000 small-to-medium sized Canadian businesses reach their full potential. By combining their people and technology, We are transforming the way business owners get the capital they need to grow. For more information, visit www.thinkingcapital.ca
Leveraging our success in the FinTech industry, we are building the next-generation lending platform designed to allow us to own the rails on which small businesses access capital in Canada. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
The Thinking Capital Risk Management team is responsible for overseeing risk management activities including developing and supporting process improvements and risk models that create a robust governance culture and finding ways to transform risk management into a competitive advantage for the company.
We are seeking to bring onboard an Analyst, Risk & Modeling to support Thinking Capital’s fast growth. Reporting the Director, Risk & Modeling, you will support various aspects of Thinking Capital’s Enterprise Risk Management including assisting with the quarterly risk assessment process, helping manage corporate policies and building reporting capabilities in our Governance Risk and Compliance tool, assist in building enterprise risk models used for pricing and underwriting purposes.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability and versatility to take on new challenges and tasks, and is able to wear many hats working on a variety of different projects.
a. Data mining, modelling and analysis:
• Conduct deep analysis to diagnose, report and document drivers of unexpected changes to portfolio/origination composition and credit performance;
• Support the Director of Risk by assisting in the development of risk models for the purposes of origination, account management and collections;
• Work on improving the portfolio’s risk-reward to perform analysis leading to credit strategy optimization customer risk segmentation development.
b. Forecasting and reporting:
• Work with the Director, Risk & Modeling to forecast key business metrics including loss rates, approval rates, loan conversion rates, and credit quality for new initiatives and marketing campaigns;
• Develop and maintain a standard set of risk and performance reports that evaluate the overall credit risk of the portfolio;
• Conduct sensitivity and scenario analysis to understand the impact of exogenous factors, policy and operational changes on delinquency and charge off levels;
• Support the Risk Leadership team in implementing changes to credit adjudication process.
Apply if you have the following skillset:
• 2-5 years in a Risk Management role at the FinTech or Banking industries;
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Computer Science, or Business-related fields;
• Love having FUN at work;
• Knowledge of credit risk and portfolio management, quantitative methodologies, risk models and tools;
• Strong technical knowledge of statistical analysis, modeling techniques and their application in a credit risk environment;
• Possess a solid understanding of data extraction/mining/modeling utilizing tools such as SAS and SQL;
• Thrives on working with, and in leading others in a “hands-on” capacity sharing best practices and coaching for future development;
• An energetic and performance-oriented individual with well-developed critical thinking skills and a bias for action;
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills; proven ability to leverage data in decision making;
• Ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others;
• Someone who is prefers shades of gray over black and white;
• Bilingual (Written & Spoken) in French & English.
Why work for Thinking Capital:
- Great Team:
Surround yourself with high-performing, energetic and passionate group of people dedicated to the Thinking Capital Mission;
- FinTech Revolution:
Be part of a team that is revolutionizing the financial system and redefining how Canadian small businesses access capital;
- Our Tech Stack:
Our backend is a sophisticated service oriented architecture developed mostly in Java with a Spring framework. On the frontend side, our application is developed on an AngularJS framework. We use Git in coordination with the best DevOps practices for Continuous Integration and Deployment to our AWS cloud infrastructure;
- Fast-Paced Environment:
Take on complex projects in a start-up like collaborative environment;
- Amazing Culture:
Amazing work spaces, advanced technology tools, subsidized lunches, Foosball table, super fun work events (Amazing Race, Murder mystery wine and cheeses, Wacky Olympics, Casino nights and legendary holiday parties and more). Take a look!
- Thinking Capital Academy:
Get the opportunity to grow and advance in the company through continuous professional training;
- Diverse Team:
Join an “at-will” equal opportunity team that prides itself on its diversity and harmony.