Head of Strategy
Digitas Liquorice is the Connected Marketing agency, built on the principle that there are better ways for brands to connect with people. We leverage comprehensive data, technology, creative, media and strategy capabilities to deliver Media-Fueled Creativity via connected Solutions that include Connected Campaigns, Social Marketing, Brand Experience, CRM & Loyalty, and Marketing Transformation. Digitas Liquorice South Africa has Head Offices in JHB and CT with over 220 Unicorns delivering connected end-to-end solutions for our clients across SSA. Visit www.liquorice.co.za for more about us and what we do. We are also connected to 6 600 Digitas Unicorns across over 30 countries and 50 offices around the world.
Purpose of the role
The Head of Strategy’s primary responsibility is strategy formulation and management, including developing the corporate vision and strategy, managing strategic planning, and leading strategic initiatives.
- Define strategic objectives and strategies to influence consumer behavior and drive business outcomes for our clients.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of integrated media channel planning including direct and programmatic/biddable media.
- Provide strategic thought leadership on how media fits within a connected marketing world and collaborate with account, technology, strategy, creative and data & analytics teams to ensure that media plans are strategically aligned, client needs are met and Digitas’ quality levels are upheld.
- Assume a substantial role on the core client team(s) to identify issues, develop new business opportunities with existing clients, and assist in the development of new client relationships.
- Be accountable for successful implementation of client’s strategic creative initiatives targeting appropriate audiences across multiple channels.
- Demonstrate real vision for the brand/account/client showing the art of the possible by a thorough understanding of initial client brief, targeted audience research, insight to creative teams, multi-channel planning activities and evaluation of previous creative campaigns.
- Use commercial and creative knowledge to translate business objectives into compelling creative briefs demonstrating entrepreneurial flair and creativity.
- Collaborate effectively with other members of the agency team, including effective supervision and management of planners, to ensure famously effective campaigns which exceed client expectations.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Work with the client to establish their aims and objectives.
- Provide thought leadership within the agency & to clients.
- Attend & participate in / facilitate Brand Planning
- Analyze existing data, market reports and trends.
- Develop, manage and analyze research projects.
- Work with colleagues to develop ideas for a campaign.
- Brief the creative team to allow them to create an effective and well-targeted proposition for the client.
- Review briefs to ensure high quality, strategic input that inspires creativity.
- Review strategies & guide strategic thinking / direction for the agency.
- Present ideas and conclusions to the client
- Facetime with Clients to discuss business complications & opportunities.
- Manage regulate workload & flow with Traffic.
- Monitor the success of the campaign as it runs, suggest changes and improvements where necessary.
- Analyze campaign results.
- Liaise with strategic counterparts at partner agencies to ensure alignment and understand the strategy, as well as ensure the various disciplines remain on track.
- Attend strategic briefings, prepare and run workshop sessions with clients and/or partner agencies.
- Attend internal agency briefing sessions and review sessions and give strategic guidance and feedback on concepts / briefs.
- Develop (and support) new business strategies that interpret cultural and social trends relevant to client business.
- Build the strategic offering as a stand-alone contribution.
- Profile the agency alongside the PR team.
- Be part of the leadership team of Digitas Liquorice by defining the agency vision, bringing the vision to life & driving culture
- Grow & mentor Strategy team members.
- dCreate a sense of community for the Strategy team.
We’re looking for strong, impactful work experience, which typically includes:
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- At least 10 years’ experience as a Snr Strategist with 2 years being a Lead Strategist or Head of Strategy
- Proficient in MS Office (Word / Excel / PowerPoint etc.)
- Experience in working in advertising and media across multiple channels including digital.
- Project Management experience is essential.
- Strong client facing experience to understand the key aspects of client facing roles in major brands and a record of generating new business including keen insight of certain key industries.
- A good command of the English language (both verbal and written)
- Excellent numerical skills
- Strong analytical research skills with the ability to synthesize and reduce different inputs to create a well-considered and accurate representative view.
- Understand commercial context of communication and need to measure and track effectiveness.
- Understand the impact of macro and micro economic factors on consumer attitudes and behavior.
- Understand primary and secondary research; first-hand experience designing & commissioning surveys, focus groups and other forms of primary research.
- Ability to exercise strategic principles and structured thinking to tackle business development projects assigned by client and/or non-marketing communication briefs.
- Ability to select appropriate frameworks, tools and approaches to use in solving client problems.
- Knowledge of the Digital Ecosystem along with future facing technology to enhance innovation through the strategic thought process.
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Able to remain calm in a highly pressurized environment
- Creative “out of the box” strategic thinker
- Problem solver / solution driven
- Meticulous with attention to detail
- Other: o Flexible to work beyond normal office hours (overtime if and when required)
- o Comfortable to work from the Publicis Groupe office (on-site)
- We are approachable & globally supportive.
- We are in this together and solution orientated.
- We always do the right thing.
- We are never afraid.
- This role with oversee two sites, one in Cape Town and one in Johannesburg, so travel will be required from time to time.