Senior Content Editor
Machine_ is a creative solutions agency represented across Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban, and is home to over 75 adventurous minds. At Machine_ we don’t believe that intuition and gut feel are enough. That’s why everything we do starts with an insight. Our team of experts uses these insights to create impactful and accountable solutions that touch consumers at every point in their connected world.
Machine_ is part of Publicis Groupe, one of the fastest-growing global networks.
Machine’s mantra, Never Afraid, underpins our values of; doing the right thing, being curious, solution orientated and at its core ‘giving a s**t!’. Living this mantra daily helps grow our Clients’ businesses and these are the values we look for when recruiting new talent. The right personality is just as important as the right experience. We’re here to work hard and have fun while doing it.
About the job
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Content Editor to join our team.
You’ll be responsible for the creation of digital internal communications content for an FSP client (from brainstorming and writing to copy editing, reviewing and communications planning and strategy), you’ll join our specialist, award-winning Content Marketing team within Machine_.
You must, above all, be passionate about content and internal communication, and have copy editing and journalistic writing experience, with a love of writing and the English language. You should be comfortable crafting custom content that nails client briefs, and be excited to write and copy edit content specifically for financial services clients, like banks and investment houses. You should also be comfortable meeting with clients to discuss, plan and review content.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- Lead internal communications content planning, commissioning, editing and writing for key corporate clients.
- Write and research content for clients across all channels and across genres, from long-form researched print articles to short, compelling social media captions and advertising copywriting.
- Commission writing briefs to freelance writers, managing this writing network in line with client needs; able to identify angles and focuses of content and edit this into work thoroughly and clearly; able to balance editorial thinking with client’s business objectives throughout content.
- Seek out fresh, original and relevant contributors, experts and interviewees suited to client needs when creating this content.
- Proofread and copy edit content, ensuring content is punchy, thoroughly researched, in line with brand style guides and 100% error-free.
- Be a brand custodian, responsible for the quality of work outputted for identified clients, and leading the internal team and freelance teams in ensuring this quality is met.
- Attend client-facing meetings and briefings.
- Take briefs and create briefs for content and the studio (design team).
- Self-manage time and deadlines.
- Ensure all content is original, accurate, suited to client tone and style, and of the highest possible quality.
- Ensure content is created optimally for its intended objectives, channels and audience.
- Review work from start to finish, including testing final emails or digital magazines.
- Review the work of peers.
- Understand content channels and user journeys and craft content with these in mind.
- Assist in reporting on content performance, with a basic understanding of insight-led, results-driven content.
- Partner with Content Officers on content planning and strategy.
- Contribute culturally to the content marketing team, and to Machine_ – be invested in the growth of your peers and the business, to doing good work, improving processes, and increasing opportunities with clients.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Business Management / Marketing / Communication / Advertising
- Proficient in MS Office (i.e. Word / Excel / PowerPoint)
- Minimum 5 year’s working experience in an Advertising Agency
- A good command of the English language (both verbal and written)
- Excellent administration and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Strong multi-tasking skills (ability to work on multiple briefs at any given time)
- Strong leadership skills
- Social media savvy
Skills and abilities:
- Strong focus on execution; copy-editing experience.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Love of the English language.
- Passion for turning corporate internal communications into compelling, engaging, human-first content.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- On the pulse of storytelling trends and innovations; love of digital storytelling and mediums.
- Ability to follow agency structures and processes, while also being proactive, agile and able to manage time independently and without assistance.
- Effective and accurate reporting.
- Willing to continually improve based on constructive feedback.
- Team player.
- Proactive and positive attitude.
- Flourishes under pressure
- Passionate about content, writing, editing and error-free work.
- Able to represent the company positively to external parties.
- Enjoys working with clients and delivering results.
- InDesign and Adobe XD copy editing experience is beneficial, but not a requirement.
- While this role is strongly supported operationally, and we aim to ensure workloads appropriately reflect ‘office hours’, you may be expected to work outside of these hours on occasion, and be willing to do so.
Interested candidates must please submit a concise CV. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us within 2 weeks after submitting your application, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Publicis Groupe is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and prohibits any forms of Discrimination or Harassment. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees in line with our Employment Equity Plan. All appointments will be based on qualifications, experience and best fit but preference will be given to candidates from designated groups.