Creative Writer & Copy Editor
- 445 King St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1K4, Canada
A three-time SABRE Canadian Agency of the Year winner (2015, 2016, 2019) North has achieved unprecedented success since launching in 2011. North disrupts the industry with its approach to PR, influencer, social and digital, establishing itself as a Canadian agency leader.
Where other agencies begin to stagnate, North has found the sweet spot between boutique and large agency: this ‘nine-year-old start-up’ is running on fresh momentum.
What’s the secret? While a slew of major new clients are tapping the team for their unique blend of expertise, many of North’s "OG" clients are expanding their work with the agency, fuelling organic growth.
We're an agency all about taking risks, thinking big and a true belief that good ideas can come from anywhere.
(And yes, the rumours are true: North is a "No timesheet agency.")
Our growing team is looking for a Creative Writer & Copy Editor with an eye for detail, entrepreneurial spirit and who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This dynamic role will partner with various account teams across the organization to ensure all editorial copy, media strategies and content delivers the maximum impact to help tell the client’s story. To be successful, you’re someone who is passionate about collaboration, communication, works well under pressure and isn’t afraid to be creative. You would also consider yourself a bit of a “news connoisseur”; you’re on top of breaking news and trending stories to help identify what is newsworthy and relevant across our various industries.
Some of the amazing work you’ll do:
- Partners with teams across the organization to ensure all editorial copy, media strategies and content delivers maximum impact and is consistent with clients’ needs
- Writes and edits materials for content, organization, grammar, spelling, punctuation, consistency, flow, style, formatting, and clarity of message
- Brainstorms, assigns and line edits high-quality written content at a fast pace
- Develops and articulates core ideas for client campaigns and brings stories to life
- Supporting the account teams and leading editorial oversight of written content based on clients’ objectives
- Compiles and maintains style guidelines for each assigned client and brand
- Proofreads materials on assigned accounts and in support of all other accounts, as required
- Keeps team members informed of any significant editorial concerns on specific jobs Organizes, prioritizes, and effectively manages workload
- Keeps up to date on how content, social media and storytelling is constantly changing and evolving
- Engages in ongoing tracking of industry and brand best practices from a content and editorial perspective
- Coaches, develops and mentors junior team members in writing, editing and storytelling.
- Writing includes social media posts, internal/external emails, speeches, bios, brief, press/news releases, presentations, executive summaries, key messaging documents and all other communications - as required
- Has a pulse on trending stories to help identify what is newsworthy and relevant across the various client industries
Our successful candidate will possess some of the following attributes below. This is just a starting point – if you feel you don’t meet the suggested experience and/or skills, we still encourage you to apply!
Who you are:
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience as a Writer and Editor
- Bachelors and/or Diploma in Communications, Journalism or related field is an asset
- Great team player and passionate about cross-company collaboration
- Strong presentation and communication skills; ability to write in various voices and tones from corporate to enterprise
- Superior time management and organizational abilities
- Copy editing for social platforms and channels
- Strong interpersonal abilities to effectively manage all internal and external relationships, vendors and agency partners
- Ability to be flexible in a changing work environment and work well under pressure
- Bilingualism (French – English) is an asset
- A passion for all things newsworthy; ability to flag breaking news and become the subject expert on the latest insights and trends
Why North Strategic? Something we’re most proud of at North is our level of employee engagement. Our employees love coming to work, but also see relationships that extend beyond the work week. As a team we celebrate our company and employee milestones and encourage quality time together. We take pride in our entrepreneurial, creative and empowering culture; a result of our strong commitment to employee engagement.
What We’re offering:
- Meaningful work where you can have a direct impact working on some of the biggest brands out there!
- A culture of entrepreneurship, creativity, growth and collaboration.
- Work with top talent at an award-winning agency on a serious growth trajectory.
- A focused commitment to career development and personal success – let us help you!
- Highly competitive compensation and benefits package including substantial time off policies (like really, it’s a big deal).
- Oh, and did we mention the perks?! Parental leave top-up program; annual summer offsites; regular social events; teams and clubs; weekly Pilates and discounted gym membership just to name a few #workperks.
- All staff meetings so you’re always in the know.
To apply for this position, click "I'm Interested" and easily submit your resume. Note that only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you very much for your interest in working at North Strategic. We look forward to meeting you!
North Strategic is committed workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.