- 175 Bloor St. East, North Tower, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Planning Director is responsible for analyzing the current direction of the organization and initiating improvements to the short and long term strategic goals of the company. The Planning Director is also responsible for the planning and implementation of corporate strategies, promoting the most innovative approaches while supporting clients and creatives see them through to completion.
This role reports directly to the President of the Company.
- Ensure the development of a relevant, meaningful and inspiring brand idea – with strong rationale - for each and every client.
- To actively champion and reinforce your brand idea and strategy across the agency and amongst partners.
- To actively seek out, identify and distill relevant data and information into simple, instructive and inspiring strategy for both the agency and client that undeniably facilitates the creation of world class work.
- To co-create a concise, instructive and inspiring creative brief with client services and creatives to guide the efficient and strategic development of work for the agency.
- Lead the direction for overall business strategies, including a short and long term strategic plans.
- Develop strategic plans ensuring innovative practices are being implemented to support the growth of the company.
- Analyze external trends, determining factors that may affect strategic plans.
- Monitor the business trends of the organization to determine what areas of the current strategic plan are strong and what areas need to be improved.
- Direct the design, development, implementation, and oversight of strategies for the company.
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on competitor activities; make recommendations based on findings/opportunities discovered.
- Lead research, strategic planning, visioning, and strategic innovation for the organization.
- Develop overall strategic performance metrics and targets consistent with organizational goals.
- Set strategic, organization-wide objectives and ensure the implementation of planning initiatives to ensure strategic growth.
- Track strategy implementation through a variety of reporting processes.
- Be actively involved in or leading the development of quantitative and qualitative exploration or rationale for any idea(s) the agency is taking to a client by:
- Sourcing and distilling secondary qualitative or quantitative data which unequivocally supports and sells the idea.
- Developing and running primary qualitative or quantitative research which unequivocally supports and sells the idea.
- To ensure the agency brings consumer, contextual and category rationales to each and every sale of creative to clients.
- 10+ years of work experience in strategic planning, preferably in an agency setting.
- Demonstrated ability to meet strategic objectives for the organization.
- Ability to make sound business decisions and evidence-based recommendations to senior management.
- Ability to conduct effective presentations.
- Thorough understanding of the methods used in successful strategic organizational growth.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with senior leadership to develop innovative ideas and provide resources needed to execute initiatives.
- Ability to inspire and lead teams in order to influence change.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with a variety of departments, key business partners, and employees.
- Demonstrated ability to positively impact business results through thoughtful strategic planning.
- Ability to keep creative on strategy regardless of the medium.
- Ability to consider the marriage between the medium and message within the context of a brand’s objectives, brand idea and strategy.
- Ability to examine a problem or opportunity and form multiple perspectives without losing sight of the big picture.
- Ability to visualize the meaning behind numerical data, generate a hypothesis and draw actionable strategy.
- Have a pragmatic approach to problem solving and seeks to generate progress at every turn.
- Ability to argue a point-of-view coherently and concisely, and speak authoritatively to clients at a senior level without seeming dogmatic or inflexible.
- Team player who can appreciate input from others and knows when to push and pull back on pursuing a point-of-view.
Leo Burnett Toronto is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Drawing on valuable perspectives and insights from our unique workforce allows us to continue sharing our best work with the world. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals and will provide appropriate accommodation for candidates with disabilities or accessibility needs throughout the recruitment process, upon request. Please contact our recruiter for any questions, accommodations or specific requests.