VP, Head of Retail Media Partnerships (CHI)
- 35 W Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, USA
Publicis Media is one of the four solutions hubs of Publicis Groupe ([Euronext Paris FR0000130577, CAC 40], alongside Publicis Communications, Publicis.Sapient and Publicis Healthcare. Led by Steve King, CEO, Publicis Media is comprised of Starcom, Zenith, Digitas, Spark Foundry, Blue 449 and Performics, powered by digital-first, data-driven global practices that together deliver client value and business transformation. Publicis Media is committed to helping its clients navigate the modern media landscape and is present in more than 100 countries with over 23,500 employees worldwide.
Our Commerce Practice is a comprehensive capability managing the intersection of media and marketplaces. It helps clients understand the shopper needs and journey to identify and drive areas of growth, as well as link media to commerce for investment recommendations and management between brands’ direct-to-consumer sites and e-retailers. Publicis Media Commerce sits within Publicis Groupe’s end-to-end Commerce solution, bringing together technology infrastructure, media, and creative into a single offering.
Trust is the cornerstone upon which we build our relationships. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of how a partner should behave.
We treat our people and our clients with respect, transparency and honesty.
This is first and foremost a people business. We are committed to ensuring Publicis Media a destination for the best talent in our industry. We value people as individuals, growing ourselves as we grow our client’s business.
True transformation comes when we stop managing change, and instead initiate change. We believe in our purpose to be the admired force for business transformation. We believe that focusing on performance and results has the power to transform client business.
About the Role:
This is a senior hire within the US Commerce Practice to align and develop our Trade Marketing and Shopper Partnership capabilities across the Publicis Groupe. This person needs to be a strong individual contributor and charismatic leader who can operate comfortably in a matrixed organization, driving the development of this proposition across a virtual team spanning across media agencies.
Many of our clients, particularly in the FMCG category are wholly reliant on third party retailers to drive sell out of their product both in store and online. Managing indirect sales channels effectively are complicated given that brands never have the level of control they’d like. This creates a need to work with different parts of a client’s organization that is closer to retailers (as opposed to brand teams) and helping manage what are often complicated trade marketing budgets which are wrapped up in larger commercial agreements.
We believe passionately that this area of trade marketing (particularly the digital component) is going to undergo significant transformation over the coming years. The push for transparency within the media industry has not filtered down to the brand / retailer relationship and we believe it absolutely will. We believe brands should ultimately demand the same level of rigor and transparency in their retailer media deals as they currently enjoy across their consumer media activity. We are looking for somebody to lead this transformation.
This is an incredible opportunity to be part of the team that helps build out a new practice within Publicis Media with huge personal development opportunities. It will undoubtedly be demanding (always) and frustrating (at times) given the complexity involved, but incredibly rewarding. This is one of the four big strategic priorities for the business this year and is certainly at the forefront of the current change within our industry.
The ideal candidate will have a rounded expertise in trade marketing, having worked for a brand, retailer or agency across both in store and online activity. They will understand the organizational complexity involved in managing trade marketing activity and will have worked across a variety of verticals which should ideally include FMCG. Their experience should not be limited to executing trade marketing activity but be broader and cover commercial negotiation and joint business planning.
In addition to trade marketing experience, we are looking for someone who has significant brand and or digital marketing experience optimizing activity to sales. It is critical that this person can place trade marketing activity in a broader context, talk credibly, and influence clients at the most senior level.
The person that fills this role needs to be positive, energetic and a shining example of the exceptional talent that exists on our team. This role does not currently have any direct reports but likely will as the team grows.
Trade Marketing Consulting
- Responsible for leading and taking complete ownership of the Trade Marketing Workstream.
- Consult for existing clients across a variety of industry verticals, mostly within the US market
- Consult across trade marketing. commercial negotiations, and joint business planning
- Accountable for driving a revenue target across local market agency teams
- Support the Americas region with initial focus on US
- Short term attachment to client business on a project basis as required
- Support in New Business pitches across Publicis Groupe as required
- Author trade marketing white papers and be seen as a credible, external spokesperson
- Participate in key panel and roundtable discussions on the topic
- Support internal capability development around trade marketing/shopper media budget management and ways of working
- Develop and manage key Publicis Media partnerships that pertain to retail media
- Familiar with partner tools and technologies (EDGE, BazaarVoice, Profitero, Wed Collage, Brand Bank etc.)
- Constantly on the lookout for new and innovative partnerships and tools to further our proposition
• 7+ years’ experience of managing commerce activity for a brand, retailer or agency
• 5+ years of working directly on trade marketing activity across a number of brands (to include FMCG)
• Experience with agency, vendor, and/or cross-functional team management
• Significant ecommerce experience including digital shelf management (ideally within FMCG)
• Proven experience of delivering successful projects in complex matrixed organizations
• Broad digital marketing experience that is not limited to (but should include) performance marketing
• Experience of managing Direct to Consumer (DTC) activity is a plus
• Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and does not need their hand held
• Commercial driven marketer who is highly numerate and not afraid to ask questions
• Relationship builder who is able to gain trust, support, and respect from others
• Exceptional operator who is able to get stuff done and manage multiple stakeholders
• Strong communicator who is able to easily explain potentially complex topics
• Strategic thinker who is curious and confident to join in and at times lead the discussion
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.