Principal Software Engineer
- 1675 Broadway, New York, NY 10019, USA
Part of Publicis Groupe (Euronext Paris Exchange: FR0000130577; CAC 40 index), Publicis Spine was established in 2017 to serve the data and analytics and technology needs of Publicis Groupe agencies and their clients. Its mission is to grow clients’ businesses through transformative data applications and is the home to Publicis Groupe’s proprietary technology platform, Publicis PeopleCloud. It includes a consistent, transparent, best-in-class approach to data, analytics solutions, partnerships and technology via a closely joined network of engineers, technology experts, product designers, analysts and data scientists all empowering marketing and digital business transformation.
This position can be based in New York City, Chicago or Boston.
As the Principal Software Engineer, you will be a part of an interdisciplinary team that creates stellar data-driven internet-based solutions. You will be responsible for the success of all technical and functional aspects of a project. We love Scala and Functional Programming, we are not afraid of experiments with Cats, ScalaZ, Shapeless. We process billions of events every day using Spark and AWS Kinesis storing data in AWS RDS and graph databases. We encourage DevOps approaches and our engineers control deployment using Kubernetes.
- 80% of time spent on actual coding, refactoring and improving our solution
- Leading technical design and implementation of practical, maintainable project solutions
- Thinking out of box
- Able to find solutions or at least options to issues that might impede the team’s development progress
- Being interested in the different languages, paradigms and approaches
- Taking responsibility for effective programming, documentation, operation, monitoring and maintenance of web hardware and software environments
- Participating in technical research and development to help us innovate our services
- Performing code reviews, developing and adhering to coding standards
- Encouraging team awareness and adoption of relevant emerging technologies
- Mentoring more junior team members
- Serving as a recognized subject matter expert in the field
- 7-10 years of hands-on development experience in Scala or 6+ years of Java development with strong desire to learn Scala
- Knowledge of Big Data stack of technologies, including Hadoop and Spark
- A truly strong background in the computer science and general programming
- Strong understanding of software engineering methodologies such as functional programming mixed with object-oriented design and functional design patterns
- Experience deploying and utilizing cloud-based services using AWS
- Experience with distributed data processing and management systems
- Experience working with large data sets or data driven applications
- Proficiency in Linux/MacOs environment a development platform
- Solid Linux skills including shell commands, shell scripting
- Solid experience in testing methodologies, test-driven design and the creation of effective and reliable test cases
- Good team skills – you can diplomatically negotiate and resolve conflicts and solve for problems creatively
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.