Data Engineer, Hadoop Developer
- 35 W Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601, USA
Starcom USA (http://www.starcomww.com/markets/united-states/) is a world-renowned media communications agency that architects connected human experiences in the one-to-one era of marketing. With more than 1,300 employees in the U.S., Starcom gets the right consumers’ attention and delivers brand-building results in partnership with the world's leading marketers and new establishment brands, including Airbnb, Allstate, Bank of America, Kellogg Company, Kraft Heinz, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Samsung, Visa and more. Starcom USA is part of Publicis Groupe [Euronext Paris: FR0000130577], one of the world’s leading communications groups.
We value you and the work you do. We work hard, but also enjoy scores of perks rooted in our legacy of having one of the strongest agency cultures. Our top-notch health insurance plans and very generous paid time off allow you much-needed time to recharge and achieve the work-life balance you need to bring your absolute best self to work.
Join Starcom Advanced Analytics and Insights
Today’s marketing & media marketplace demands speed, agility, and mastery of data and analytics. With so much attention on “big data” and with changes in people’s digital media behavior across screens, the field of IT in marketing & media is evolving rapidly with great possibility for talented individuals who seek a vibrant and contemporary work environment. Expertise is needed to pioneer & evolve the agency data ecosystem and technologies in the mix as the options for marketers and end consumers increase and the overall landscape transforms.
The Starcom Advanced Analytics and Insights team is based in Chicago. Selected candidate will architect and develop adaptive solutions that address the accelerating marketplace changes. The total team has a remit to find and tell data stories, including developing new interfaces, visualizations, methods, and applications to learn and act quickly to drive client marketing success. Team members are skilled statisticians, software developers, data visualization and advanced analytics experts who mine data to understand how experiences impact consumer behavior and what drives business value.
Starcom is seeking a Data Engineer, a specialist in Big Data architecture and development, to join its Advanced Analytics and Insights team. Candidate will contribute towards building custom data-driven applications for decision support, data exploration, and analytics enablement. Candidate will provide support to data scientists and analysts, providing automation and incorporating their methodologies into applications for scaling across the organization.
The Data Engineer role will contribute towards architecting, designing, developing, deploying, and supporting end-to-end solutions within in-house and/or client Big Data infrastructure. This is a full stack engineering role. Custom solutions developed internally are used across the organization to help internal teams optimize media planning and buying.
With responsibilities across multiple clients, this candidate will gain exposure to a variety of strategic business problems and the opportunity to contribute to our team’s set of innovative methods to solve them.
· Design and build tools, applications, and frameworks within Hadoop
· Programming experience in Python and Java (including any JVM based language, e.g., Scala); comfortable working in *nix environments.
· Broad experience across the full Hadoop stack, including Hive, Oozie, Spark, Flume, Storm, Kafka, etc.
· Hadoop platform experience managing user permissions, security, monitoring performance, and troubleshooting issues.
· Integrate with non-Hadoop platforms such as MS SQL Server, application server, and third-party APIs.
· Experience developing and deploying data pipelines to support analytics applications.
· Document and publish Big Data coding standards, architecture specifications, and technology framework
· Provide technical leadership in establishing best practices in initiating, planning, and executing Big Data application development.
· Work with external analytical stakeholders (both internal media teams and external clients) to plan, analyze, and execute against client analytics roadmaps.
· Excellent at working with cross-functional teams to develop use cases and propose engineering solutions.
· Ability to rapidly brainstorm and develop testable ideas alone or with teams.
· Develop of analytically oriented solutions
· Highly effective communicator, both spoken and written
· Facilitate requirements gathering
· Contribute in multiple projects as architect and creative consultant
· Key role in testing and deployment
· Self-reliant, demonstrated desire to take ownership of projects
· Ability to prioritize and manage concurrent projects
· Demonstrate initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
· Integrating with other data management platforms like Informatica, Talend, or Alteryx a plus
· Working knowledge of SQL Server Integration Services a plus
· Experience developing in R or SAS programming is a plus
· Applied experience with marketing data and digital media is highly desirable
· Experience with programmatic media and platforms in particular a plus.
· Broad knowledge of large-scale distributed systems and client-server architectures a plus.
· Knowledge of AWS and/or Azure Cloud platforms is good to have
· BA/BS in Computer Science or a related degree, and 3+ years’ practical experience in the field.
· 3+ year experience in Hadoop related solution design, development, and deployment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.