Sales Tax Analyst
- Glendale, CA, USA
With more than 2,400 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We are looking for a Sales Tax Analyst to join our team in Glendale, CA. The Sales Tax Analyst will be responsible for preparing and reviewing sales tax processes for state and local sales tax returns preparation for all Public Storage and related entities in the U.S. (38 states). They will ensure that Public Storage and its affiliates; are in compliance with state and local sales and use tax regulations and filing requirements.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Prepares, reviews, and processes state and local Sales Tax Returns for all Public Storage and related entities in the U.S. (38 states)
- Prepare, reviews, and processes state and local Sales Tax Returns for Third Party Owners
- Run programs and reports on JD Edwards to compile data and information to facilitate preparation of state and local sales tax returns for all Public Storage and related in entities in the U.S.
- Update and maintain RIA Insource Sales and Use Tax Software to produce facsimile sales tax returns
- Maintain a control sheet for monthly, quarterly, and annually filed sales tax returns
- Make mandatory electronic and ACH tax payments to required state agencies
- Match A/P checks and reports to state and local sales tax returns
- Prepare manual and automated check request to submit to A/P for payment.
- Scan, copy, and mail certified, all state and local sales tax returns monthly, quarterly, and annually
Sales Tax Rates
- Update and maintain sales tax rates for all properties and tax types at the point of sale in the U.S.
Sales Tax Licensing
- Obtains and renew annual state and local sales tax licenses for all Public Storage properties in the U.S.
- Obtain and verify Third Party sales tax licenses for tax reporting purposes.
- Prepare state and local license applications for new locations and entities in taxing jurisdictions
- Respond to state and local tax notices by writing letters, researching issues, and providing support documentation
- Contacting state and local tax authorities assessing tax issues and communicating effectively to resolve tax issues
Analysis and Reports
- Review the collection and remittance of state and local sales and use tax related to storage rent, merchandise, and auction sales to state and local government agencies
- Analyze sales reports and maintain JD Edwards programs for accurate collection and reporting
- Enter journal entries and conduct account analysis
- Assist with state and local sales tax audits
- Review invoices and audit reports
- Handle special tax issues in state and municipal jurisdictions
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Accounting, or Finance
- Experience in Sales Tax is preferred
- Combination of Education and experience will be considered
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
Proficiency with Excel and Microsoft required
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and governmental regulations
- Ability to write routine reports, business correspondence, and instructions effectivel
- Ability to speak and interact effectively with employees of the organization
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently with minimal supervision and direction
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.