Big Data Engineering Expert
- Redwood City, CA
Finding a good job is very good.
Finding a good job in a dynamic, growing company is great.
Finding a great job in a world-changing organization is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Welcome to Proteus Digital Health, where we’re pioneering a new category of products, services and data systems based on ingestible computing. Our core technology – the digital health feedback system – provides an unprecedented view into an individual’s personal health choices and physiologic response. This care-altering feedback system enables patients to better manage their health, allows more effective collaboration with caregivers and clinicians, all while enabling new information-based business models.
What Amazon did with books, and Apple did with music, Proteus is poised to do with digital medicine. Come join our unique collection of innovative scientists, engineers, market makers, designers, doctors, developers, clinicians, and other digital health industry pioneers, and help us dramatically improve the lives of tens of millions across the globe.
Learn more about what we do (video): https://proteus.app.box.com/BuildersandInnovators
Job Title: Data Engineering Expert
Team: Product Analytics and Data Science
Reports to: Head of Product Insights and Reports
The energy and culture at Proteus is a contagious mix of passion, focus, relentless determination, and serious fun. Proteans are mission-minded and collaborate in a way that’s refreshingly encouraging. With all of this comes success and then growth, which is why you’re reading this now because we are seeking an experienced Data Engineering Expert.
- Design, build, and maintain all parts of batch and streaming data pipelines to support analytics (requirements gathering, data transformation, data modeling, metric design, etc)
- Design and build new dimensional data models and schema designs to improve accessibility, efficiency, and quality of data
- Develop cross-platform ETL processes
- Optimize table schemata based on usage patterns
- Lead development of architecture and standards for a business metric warehouse
- Help data scientists optimize their data retrieval queries
- Provide expert advice and education in the usage and interpretation of our data
- Champion better cross-functional data integration efforts, both upstream and downstream
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, implement fixes and design data audits to capture the issues in the future
- Implement systems for tracking data quality and consistency
- MS/BS in Computer Science, MIS, or other quantitative field or relevant work experience
- Seasoned data engineer with experience building data pipelines for streaming / distributed data
- Experience in ETL development, methodology and tools
- Experience with distributed analytic processing technologies (Presto, Hadoop, Hive, MapReduce, Kafka, Spark, etc.) – AWS Platform knowledge a plus
- Experience across different database platforms, including MPP ones such as Redshift and/or newer scalable stores such as Druid and ElasticSearch
- Experience building batch data pipelines with Hadoop/Spark as well as with relational database engines, and you understand their respective strengths and weaknesses
- Significant experience in data warehousing and dimensional modeling
- Experience in real-time data processing
- Extensive experience using SQL
- Comfort with software development methodology around unit testing, performance tuning, integration testing, etc. – Git experience a plus
- Bias-to-action: Responsive, team-oriented personal style for effectiveness with internal clients and colleagues
- Strong coding skills (Python, Scala, Java...)
- Experience with analytical tools supporting data analysis and reporting (MicroStrategy, Tableau, etc)
- Excellent communicator. Great at explaining complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical colleagues alike
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Ready for the ride of your life? We’re looking forward to receiving your resume!
We provide our employees with a great benefits package, which includes: medical/dental/vision insurance, 401K, paid time off (PTO)—including your birthday off, employee stock options, a bright & awesomely designed physical work space, a complimentary wearable device (i.e. Fitbit), fitness centers, and, of course free snacks & beverages.
About Us: Proteus has received FDA market clearance in the U.S. and a CE mark in Europe for its wearable and ingestible sensor devices. Headquartered in Redwood City, Calif., Proteus is privately held and funded by Carlyle, Essex Woodlands, Kaiser Permanente, Medtronic, Novartis, Otsuka, Oracle, ON Semiconductor and other investors.