Excavation Superintendent - SCE
- New York City, NY, USA
Safeway is a growing and forward-thinking utility construction contractor with over 20 years of history. We tackle our customer’s most complex and challenging projects and deliver them flawlessly and safely. Even underneath the congested streets of New York City and Long Island—under intense time constraints—we build high-quality utility infrastructure that will last for generations.
We are actively looking for an Excavation Superintendent for our active multi-year Manhattan Con Edison contracts.
The Excavation Superintendent oversees crews at various and dynamic construction sites throughout Manhattan. This person will directly support the Foreman as a key person in charge of overseeing the completion of the project and as such must be able to see the “big picture” at all times. A keen awareness of expenses, permits and other regulations, as well as employee safety are all top-of-mind for the Superintendent. Our operations are 7 days a week, both night and day shifts. This salaried position covers unconventional shifts, including nights and weekends.
- Plan and oversee the excavation and backfill/restoration of pits and trenches in New York City roads and sidewalks for installation of gas piping and other utility infrastructure
- Drive efficient and safe production of crews (foreman, laborers, timbermen, backhoe operator) and arrange for logistical support so every job can be completed on time and on budget
- Emphasis on the safe use of tools, machinery and equipment including training on safety gear
- Handle conflicts and issues professionally and with excellent communication to all stakeholders
- Coordinate daily tasks according to priorities and plans, adjusting as necessary due to weather, supply delivery and personnel
- Ability to delegate responsibilities and individual projects to foremen, crew and contractors
- Develop and oversee quality standards on all sites
- Report project status to supervisors, site engineers and officials regularly
- Work with other Superintendents who focuses on pipework and customer relations
- Must have worked minimum of 5 years in New York City street construction as a Superintendent, Foreman or other Leadership role (construction, digging crews, work in Manhattan a plus)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Positive team-based attitude
- Good work ethic
- Focus on driving production safely and within all rules and regulations
- Ability to read drawings, plans and blueprints and convey this information to others
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Knowledge of New York City street opening permits, rules, and regulations
- Ability to communicate and report effectively
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Company offers benefits, accrued PTO, paid holidays and 401k with Company match.