Editor in Chief, The Advocate
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pride Media operates the most established, most recognized, and most talked-about media brands serving the LGBTQ market. Our award winning content is delivered within a dynamic portfolio of media properties that are rich in history, culture, news, entertainment, fashion, and photography. Together, these properties capture the many facets of the LGBTQ experience and reach millions of readers and viewers every month. Across all platforms—print, digital, social media, tablet, events and mobile—Pride Media reaches consumers wherever they are and however they want.
The Editor in Chief for The Advocate brand is responsible for the creation, editing, scheduling and production of stories, images and videos that represent Pride Media and The Advocate’s voice. The Advocate is the world’s leading source of LGBT news and information. Capturing the political and cultural conversations of the community through award-winning journalism, compelling photography and video, and vital commentary. The Editor in Chief is an experienced writer and creative story-teller, responsible for ensuring that The Advocate’s digital and social platforms produce the frequency and quality of digital stories, photography, social video and social posts required to attract and retain a large and engaged audience.
Develop and refine The Advocate editorial vision and strategy
Manage and oversee The Advocate’s editorial operation to include: leading editorial meetings, managing editorial calendar, and working with social media, branded content, and sales team for content planning.
Act as a steward and brand ambassador for The Advocate, representing the brand in the marketplace and industry events.
Develop, cultivate and grow the voice and sphere of influence of The Advocate among LGBTQ consumers primarily through digital, video and social media
Monitors news sites and leading publications on a daily basis for events and stories that are trending and must be covered through The Advocate. Drives breaking news to be posted quickly and with The Advocate approach to storytelling, often stepping in to do this work directly rather than waiting.
Utilize digital analytics to monitor, measure and improve upon traffic and content to make it more relevant for our audience and for advertisers
· Must be efficient, well organized, have a strong interest in LGBTQ news
· Active and established voice on social media, primarily Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter
· Efficient, well organized, able to think ‘social and digital first’ ensuring that content is engaging and sharable.
· Recognize how to break down a story into the parts that are most easily shareable while able to create accompanying screenshots, animated gifs, video clips or whatever else is necessary to create the most engaging narrative.
· Collaborative team player that will partner with Pride Media Sales & Marketing teams and The Advocate contributors
· Must be a proficient writer who is also an adept copy editor.
· Must be willing and able to work evenings or weekends when needed to meet deadlines or while on press trips.
· Must be sufficiently flexible and knowledgeable about the online production process.
Additional preferred skills:
· Experience with Drupal or another CMS.
· Experience with Adobe Photoshop.
· Experience with social video editing and creation of social video content
· Experience in and passion for utilizing social media to connect to an audience, as a key news gathering tool and for disseminating stories while creating a community.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.