Editorial Director, The Out Traveler
- New York, NY, USA
Pride Media operates the most established, most recognized, and most talked-about media brands serving the LGBTQ market. Our award winning content is delivered within a dynamic portfolio of media properties that are rich in history, culture, news, entertainment, fashion, and photography. Together, these properties capture the many facets of the LGBTQ experience and reach millions of readers and viewers every month. Across all platforms—print, digital, social media, tablet, events and mobile—Pride Media reaches consumers wherever they are and however they want.
The Editorial Director for the Out Traveler brand is responsible for the creation, editing, scheduling and production of stories, images and videos that represent Pride Media and Out Traveler voice. Out Traveler is multi-platform, social-centric, travel brand created by, for and about LGBTQ Travelers. The Out Traveler Editor is an experienced and intrepid domestic and international traveler, who is both an imaginative writer and creative story-teller, responsible for ensuring that the Out Traveler digital and social platforms produce the frequency and quality of digital stories, photography, social video and social posts required to attract and retain a large and engaged audience of LGBTQ travelers. The Out Traveler editor will produce digital and social content in a relatable and social-centric voice representing the brand and incorporating the voice, images and contributions of relevant Out Traveler influencers and travelers who will also produce digital and social content for the Out Traveler brand. Out Traveler’s editorial will focus on the best, in-depth coverage pertaining to travel: accommodations, destinations, transportation, experiences, trends and more. Out Traveler digital and social content will also address questions around how to travel safe for the LGBTQ audience and what destinations are the most welcoming.
- Act as a steward and brand ambassador for Out Traveler, representing the brand in the marketplace, at trade shows and industry events.
- Develop, cultivate and grow the voice and sphere of influence of The Out Traveler among LGBTQ consumers, travel industry insiders and the advertising industry, primarily through digital, video and social media
- Collaborate with Sales & Marketing to create saleable and compelling opportunities for advertisers that will also resonate with our audience
- Attend industry trade shows globally acting as the voice and vision for the brand.
- Utilize digital analytics to monitor, measure and improve upon traffic and content to make it more relevant for our audience and for advertisers
- Develop and refine The Out Traveler editorial vision and strategy, with the EIC of The Out Traveler publication and Publisher of The Out Traveler brand
- Experienced domestic and international traveler w/valid Passport
- Active and established voice on social media, primarily Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter
- Passionate and well-rounded domestic and international travel background
- Ability to create authentic & relevant content across various travel experiences/destinations from DIY weekend getaways to international luxury travel
- Proficient in delivering presentations to both intimate settings and large crowds
- Efficient, well organized, able to think ‘social and digital first’ ensuring that content is engaging and sharable.
- Recognize how to break down a story into the parts that are most easily shareable while able to create accompanying screenshots, animated gifs, video clips or whatever else is necessary to create the most engaging narrative.
- Collaborative team player that will partner with the Out Traveler print EIC, Pride Media Sales & Marketing teams and Out Traveler contributors
- Must be a proficient writer who is also an adept copy editor.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings or weekends when needed to meet deadlines or while on press trips.
- Must be sufficiently flexible and knowledgeable about the online production process.
Additional preferred skills:
- Experience with Drupal or another CMS.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience with social video editing and creation of social video content
- Experience in and passion for utilizing social media to connect to an audience, as a key news gathering tool and for disseminating stories while creating a community.
- Fast-paced, high growth work environment.
- Friendly, fun, and collaborative team-based work environment.
- Diversity of work projects.
- Health, dental, vision insurance.
- Paid vacation, holidays