Principal Full Stack Engineer
- Oakland, CA
The energy we use to power our buildings is responsible for half of all greenhouse gas emissions contributing to global warming. That is three times the pollution that our vehicles cause. The $6 Trillion (yes, correct that’s 12 zeros) revenues energy industry is headed in the wrong direction and we needed to do something about it. That’s where PowerScout.com comes in. We are using cutting edge technology, big data analytics, and machine learning to revolutionize how you buy energy in a way that makes sense for your wallet, home value and the environment. Changing a hundred year old industry is a daunting task, but we are convinced that together we will make a meaningful contribution to a cleaner, healthier and cheaper energy future.
PowerScout is an early stage start-up with very solid financial backing from big names. We are located in SOMA in San Francisco. We are building the first big data intelligence platform for clean energy working with the brightest data science talent in Silicon Valley. PowerScout’s mission is to transform each home and building from being a consumer of dirty power to becoming a producer of clean energy. We are reinventing the consumer buying process for clean energy products — transforming the transaction so it is fully online, without pressure from a door-to-door sales person.
Join us for the greatest thrill of your life!
Learn more at: www.powerscout.com
We are looking for a ninja Full Stack Engineer/Architect who has mad skills building new platforms in the cloud from the ground up. This is a technical leadership position and you will be charting the course for the entire platform. We are looking for a principal engineer with serious full-stack development skills, strong interests in all things mobile, and a passion for delivering high quality, rock-solid code.
The ideal candidate thrives in a collaborative, creative environment that moves fast. You are the one people come to for answers; a technical leader and mentor. You are passionate about designing technology that elegantly solves complex business problems and you have an opinion about doing things the right way. You are a pacesetter who wants to set the standard; you are organized, self-directed, and committed to innovation. You are hungry to be on the critical path, to lead the discussion, and to have an impact on the world.
Think you might be a Power Scout? Interviews are being scheduled now and we'd love to talk to you - apply today.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Creating cloud software platform from the ground up, from ideation to technical design to implementation to delivery
- Serving as the guru and architect for the technology stack
- Partnering closely with senior executives to bring disruptive technology to the clean energy market
- Investigating and prototyping new technologies
- Leading and mentoring and developing simultaneously
- At least 7 years of employment as a platform/full-stack engineer in a professional setting.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- Expert in building software in the cloud on AWS (EC2, S3, SES)
- Expert in web services standards and related technologies (XML, JSON, REST, SOAP)
- Strong experience with complex application integrations
- Strong experience with relational and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Cassandra) and efficiently processing large data sets
- Proven ability to diagnose complex problems in distributed environments
- Deep understanding of algorithms in distributed systems and object-oriented design
- Ability to define data model and data storage strategies, including knowledge of distributed data systems such as Hadoop
- Ability to manage multiple/competing priorities and make the right tradeoffs and timely delivery of features
- Ability to make critical architecture decisions, lead code reviews, improve our software development processes, and deliver high-quality software on-time
- Very comfortable serving as the tech lead for the team, including peer code reviews and mentoring
- Strong experience planning and writing unit, functional, and integration tests, load profiling and testing, and performance and availability monitoring
- Experience with database maintenance, including data migrations, creating indices in response to slow queries, and normalizing schemas.
- Experience with screen scraping (node.js, Selenium Webdriver, process management, message queuing)
- Experience with or strong interest in dev ops
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
WHAT’S YOUR STYLE
- A leader who rises to the occasion under pressure and takes action to solve problems
- A developer who loves the speed of a start-up and won’t quit until the job is done with craftsmanship and excellence, whatever it takes
- A team-player with a good sense of humor and the ability to work on multiple projects under a tight schedule
- Someone with above-average communication skills, excellent ability to analyze and diagnose, good planning and work management skills, and great attention to detail
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- The opportunity to join a fast growing startup that is out to disrupt the way consumers adopt clean energy
- Competitive salary
- Generous early stage equity
- The coolest office space in SOMA San Francisco
- Our culture is awesome! We hire only exceptional talent and we believe in the power of a great team - everyone carries their weight and gets rewarded for their contributions. We work hard and we play hard and we believe that technology is the most important tool for change in our lifetime.