Software Development Intern
- Miotoni Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
- Employees can work remotely
PowerGen Renewable Energy is a fast-growing renewable energy company based in Nairobi. Founded in 2011,the company has installed 100+ renewable energy systems and connected 12,000 + homes and businesses in Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone to clean and reliable electricity.
We combine our mission – to provide access to energy across all of Africa – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC microgrids to bring power to residential and commercial customers in a for-profit manner.With over 120 employees, PowerGen is building a local company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for years to come.
In 2021, PowerGen is focused on expanding on our successes in building and operating microgrid energy utilities in East and West Africa and keeping the model on the path towards commercial viability and scale. We are building a team that is equipped to pursue this vision and are interested in hosting a Sofware Development (SD)
Intern that can contribute to this process.
As a Software Development Intern, you will play a critical role in supporting the company’s software development, database buildout, and platform upgrades. You will coordinate with an international technology team to keep the company’s operations running smoothly by maintaining existing software as well as building new software features. You will report to the Software Team Lead and work closely across the Technology and Customer Divisions to build and maintain the tools we use to serve customers across the countries in which we
operate. You’ll be mentored directly by one of our senior Software Developers, maximizing your learning potential.
What You’ll Make Happen:
You’ll have the opportunity to do software development on various parts of our software stack such as:
● Modern Single-Page Application front-end in React.js
● Lightning fast backend microservices in GoLang
● Scalable operational databases and Data Warehousing in PostgreSQL
● Fully-automated code testing CI/CD with GitLab CI
● Automated dashboards in Google Data Studio
● Server Admin in Microsoft Azure
In our Agile team management methodology, you’ll be assigned new tickets every 2 weeks by the scrum master and expected to deliver on them before the next Sprint.
You Already Have:
- A failure of a team or project delivery that you can describe in detail, including root causes
o Excellent communication with peers, managers, and junior developers
o Critical thinking & problem solving
o Ability to prioritize and manage the implementation
● Experience (some or all of the following):
o Linux and Windows-based systems (local and cloud)
o Implementing/using share code and code versioning systems
o Design and development (end-to-end) of software (web-based & mobile applications)
o Systems testing and debugging
o Design and implementation of SQL Databases
o Designing, building and working with API’s
o Integrating 3rd party systems with Mobile Network Operators or Mobile Money Aggregators
o Data analysis
What Excites You:
● A fast-paced environment where constant change is the norm and individual initiative is encouraged
● Having autonomy to implement your creative solutions – not just coming up with ideas, but possessing
the commitment and skill to implement them
● Tackling big, thorny problems that will define the future of energy for a continent
● Excellence – in your peers, in your work, and in our company’s commitment to our customers
● Passion for organization, details, and precision in all you do
● A hunger to learn and grow both technically and professionally
Benefits and Compensation
● Monthly compensation
● Flexible work schedule
● Professional development opportunities internally and externally
● Performance feedback and open-door company culture
● Opportunity to work with a dynamic team of brilliant people passionate about electrifying Africa!
PowerGen will be accepting applications on a rolling basis. You can expect to receive a response one to two weeks after submitting an application.