Team Lead, Software Engineering
- 111 Richmond St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2G4, Canada
We’re a technology company working in the loyalty e-commerce industry. Our solutions enhance the management and monetization of loyalty currencies for more than 50 of the world’s largest loyalty brands, from frequent flyer miles and hotel points to retailer and credit card rewards. Supported by our unparalleled loyalty industry experience and technological expertise, we bring state-of-the-art loyalty commerce platforms and products to individuals and businesses in today’s loyalty marketplace.
Our casual, collaborative office is where our strong workplace culture begins. Our people are what make us great, so we empower them with the freedom to think big and the resources to make things happen. We communicate directly, lead by example, and make sure our team members know how much they are appreciated. Passion for life and work is important to us, and we want to see it in you, too!
Points is headquartered in Toronto while our Travel application team is based in San Francisco with additional team members across Mexico. We need a Team Lead in Toronto with strong office presence and strong remote working habits to help us build and manage a small team of onsite engineers while finding thoughtful ways for our two teams to be “more together”.
As a Team Lead, you will help solve people problems, process problems, and programming problems. You will help fill gaps in communication and gaps in project resourcing. While we are flexible about working hours and location as a company, you will help set the parameters for in-office presence in Toronto as well as remote availability for a team primarily based in San Francisco. You will have the opportunity to represent our team and collaborate with most other teams, including but not limited to Data, Risk, Support, Marketing, and Delivery.
The Travel engineering team core values are focused on Care, Craft, and Communication. Reporting to
the Director of Software Engineering in San Francisco, the responsibilities of the Team Lead in Toronto
- Maintain developer happiness while growing the careers of 2-4 developers onsite and remote
- Conduct unsurprising annual performance reviews
- Provide timely, valuable, kind, and constructive feedback to team members on all levels
- Dedicate half of your time to improving or implementing story requirements, complex or mundane
- Manage more multi-release projects or larger projects over time
- Support all team members across the finish line on a fast two-week release cycle
- Suss out and plan to address platform deficiencies preemptively against the product road-map
- Maintain and improve documentation
- Be an advocate for our team in Toronto through physical presence; be our voice in meetings
- Occasionally represent the Travel team at the Engineering team meeting
- A passion for solving people problems, process problems, and programming problems
- 5+ years of experience of quality web app development in a back-end
- 2+ years of experience collaborating and negotiating with cross functional team members
- 2+ years of experience directly managing engineers and leading project initiatives
- 1+ years of experience developing in short release cycles
- An honest, humble, friendly personality for building valuable relationships across the company
- A strong sense of ownership with an appetite for iterative improvement
- Effective communication skills across all mediums (Slack, Zoom, Google Docs, email, in-person)
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (or equivalent experience)
- Availability to travel to San Francisco and/or Mexico once or twice annually for team building
NICE TO HAVES
- Familiarity with JIRA and Trello
- Familiarity with Gitlab
- Familiarity with SOX compliance and processes
- Training in PCI DSS
- Experience with AWS deployments
- Fluency in Spanish
Building a great company culture is as vital to us as building a great business. Over the last 5 years Points has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Best Workplaces (Medium) in Canada
- Best Workplaces for Women. We were also named one of
- Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Here are some of the perks that are included in our Points culture:
- Central downtown location in the Financial District
- Connected to the PATH network of shops/restaurants
- We want to celebrate with you: all employees get an extra day off for their Birthdays!
- Flexible work hours and casual dress every day
- Marvelous Snack Cart Fridays: free refreshments and snacks!
- Free coffee, tea, juice, pop, and snacks
- Monthly subsidized lunch program
- Secure bike storage with showers and towel service
- Company-sponsored activities: bowling, movies, sports, paintball, and more!
Points is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential.
No agencies please.