Data Scientist (Loyalty and R&D)
- 111 Richmond St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2G4, Canada
We’re a technology company working in the loyalty e-commerce industry. Our solutions enhance the management and monetization of loyalty currencies for more than 50 of the world’s largest loyalty brands, from frequent flyer miles and hotel points to retailer and credit card rewards. Supported by our unparalleled loyalty industry experience and technological expertise, we bring state-of-the-art loyalty commerce platforms and products to individuals and businesses in today’s loyalty marketplace.
Our casual, collaborative office is where our strong workplace culture begins. Our people are what make us great, so we empower them with the freedom to think big and the resources to make things happen. We communicate directly, lead by example, and make sure our team members know how much they are appreciated. Passion for life and work is important to us, and we want to see it in you, too!
Points is looking for a results-oriented, experienced Data Scientist to join our advanced Analytics and Data Science team based in our downtown Toronto office.
We’re an industry-leading organization that is continuously reshaping how consumers interact with their loyalty programs. We work with the world’s largest airline, hotel, financial, and retail rewards programs, to tackle complex challenges and come up with innovative e-commerce solutions. If you’d like to be a part of it, we’d love to hear from you.
The Data Scientist is a key role in delivering the advanced analytics/predictive modelling capability within our organization and on behalf of our valued Loyalty Partners.
As a Data Scientist, you will be working in fast-paced environment, actively supporting fact based decision making across the enterprise. You will have exposure to all of Points LOBs (lines of business), advanced marketing & merchandising capabilities, customer database & channels and will actively support revenue generation & capability enhancements. Your key responsibilities include:
- Powering revenue growth through the design and implementation of algorithms, machine learning & decision intelligence. This includes promo, price & assortment optimization, including dynamic personalized recommendations at the customer & product level across OTA (sort, price & margin algorithms that drive travel e-commerce sites), airline, hotel & loyalty sites.
- Researching, designing and implementing analytical models and algorithms that will be utilized for promotion, pricing, product, media & revenue optimization.
- Identify predictive attributes through neural nets & function engineering - and model the expected opportunity rates of return of your recommendations
- Analyzing & distilling loyalty insights from diverse data sets (member, segment & program level)
- Enabling best in class offer generation (customer targeting & offer assignment) & optimization based on all the available data, scores & model outputs. Includes dynamic attributes.
- Elevate the data science discipline by providing coaching & thought leadership to junior members of the technical team.
Reporting to our Lead, Data Scientist, this role supports the mandate of accelerated growth. The Data Scientist is responsible to:
- Perform “hands-on” data science activities; including predictive modelling, clustering, design of experiment and significance testing, & work with the team to ensure the quality of analysis.
- Work with the Lead Data Scientist to champion development of next-generation analytic models (econometric/propensity/forecasting), optimization (promotion, pricing, revenue, media) and their deployment /productionization across the enterprise.
- Identify patterns in customer behaviour, predict future behaviour and deploy to market for growth.
- Build & train models for production, monitor & refine existing algorithms to systematically increase the sophistication & utility of marketing’s analytic capability & customer intelligence.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand their needs, develop solutions & assist test n learn.
- Provide key insights & recommendations to drive business performance and test / validate leading hypothesis & theories.
- Identify additional sources of data & predictive attributes which can improve existing products and/or enable the creation of actionable intelligence.
- Masters or PhD in Physics/Math/Computer Science/Statistics or equivalent
- Over 5 years’ experience applying Data Science including but not limited to econometric modeling, classification and prediction models, time series analysis, clustering, recommender systems & machine learning.
- Deep understanding of ML algorithms (from linear regression to neural networks), objective and cost functions, overfitting, imbalanced data
- Proven experience with feature engineering, dimensionality reduction and clustering
- Solid understanding of and experience building hybrid recommender systems
- Strong Python, SQL and analytical skills
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiarity with data warehousing, data processing pipelines and data structures
- Ability to communicate/present complex ideas/analysis in a concise, business-friendly manner
- Natural curiosity to solve problems and find meaning in complex data sets & customer behaviour analysis.
- Strong business acumen to apply recommendations in the proper commercial context.
- Experience with automating data science models is a plus
- Experience in deploying/testing models in production is a plus
- Hotel e-commerce and/or Marketing Analytics experience a significant plus.
- Loyalty, retail, e-commerce and/or Marketing Analytics experience a strong plus.
Building a great company culture is as vital to us as building a great business. Over the last 5 years Points has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Best Workplaces (Medium) in Canada
- Best Workplaces for Women. We were also named one of
- Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Here are some of the perks that are included in our Points culture:
- Central downtown location in the Financial District
- Connected to the PATH network of shops/restaurants
- We want to celebrate with you: all employees get an extra day off for their Birthdays!
- Flexible work hours and casual dress every day
- Marvelous Snack Cart Fridays: free refreshments and snacks!
- Free coffee, tea, juice, pop, and snacks
- Monthly subsidized lunch program
- Green commuter and fitness subsidies
- Secure bike storage with showers and towel service
- Company-sponsored activities: bowling, movies, sports, paintball, and more!
Points is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential.
No agencies please.