Development Engineer (Rails)
- 351 California St, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
We’re a technology company working in the loyalty e-commerce industry. Our solutions enhance the management and monetization of loyalty currencies for more than 60 of the world’s largest loyalty brands, from frequent flyer miles and hotel points to retailer and credit card rewards. Supported by our unparalleled loyalty industry experience and technological expertise, we bring state-of-the-art loyalty commerce platforms and products to individuals and businesses in today’s loyalty marketplace.
Our casual, collaborative office is where our strong workplace culture begins. Our people are what make us great, so we empower them with the freedom to think big and the resources to make things happen. We communicate directly, lead by example, and make sure our team members know how much they are appreciated. Passion for life and work is important to us, and we want to see it in you, too!
Points is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario with a distributed product development team for the Points Travel product in San Francisco, California, and across Mexico. We need a Rails Developer with strong office presence in San Francisco and strong remote work experience to reinforce our company motto “More Together” within a distributed team. This position is also open to remotely working from anywhere within California outside the Bay Area.
The Travel engineering team core values are focused on Care, Craft, and Communication. Reporting to the Director of Engineering in San Francisco, the responsibilities of the Rails Developer include:
- CARE in building up other team members and acknowledging other teams, clients, and customers as partners collectively striving for the best;
- CRAFT in building up your own technical ability through curiosity and failure while being thoughtful about our product and our platform; and
- COMMUNICATION in building up awareness, education, and timely, constructive, honest feedback.
- 3-5 years of experience writing beautiful code using Ruby on Rails or another contemporary programming language framework with a solid understanding of OOP concepts and a passion for clean, maintainable code
Bonus points for:
- Experience developing in Rails, React, and PostgreSQL
- Experience with Minitest/Rspec (we are not TDD purist but writing tests are important)
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Familiarity with Slack, JIRA, Trello, and Gitlab
- Experience with Docker, AWS, and Linux
- Familiarity with SOX compliance and training in PCI DSS
- Experience collaborating with cross functional team members with effective communication skills across multiple mediums (Slack, Zoom, Gdocs, email, in-person)
- Ability to work closely with fellow team locally and remote with an openness to giving and receiving feedback
- Self-directed to manage delivery and growth of projects in short release cycles while contributing to the betterment of the entire team
Building a great company culture is as vital to us as building a great business. Over the last 5 years Points has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Best Workplaces (Medium) in Canada
- Best Workplaces for Women.
- Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Here are some of the perks that are included in our Points culture:
- San Francisco downtown location in the Financial District
- Few minutes’ walk from the Montgomery BART Station
- Flexible work hours and casual dress every day
- Burrito Friday and a fully stocked kitchen by request
- Green commuter and fitness subsidies
- Bike storage
- Company-sponsored activities: darts, bowling, movies, and more!
Points is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential.
No agencies please.