Team Lead, Software Engineering (Python)
- 111 Richmond St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2G4, Canada
We’re a technology company working in the loyalty e-commerce industry. Our solutions enhance the management and monetization of loyalty currencies for more than 50 of the world’s largest loyalty brands, from frequent flyer miles and hotel points to retailer and credit card rewards. Supported by our unparalleled loyalty industry experience and technological expertise, we bring state-of-the-art loyalty commerce platforms and products to individuals and businesses in today’s loyalty marketplace.
Our casual, collaborative office is where our strong workplace culture begins. Our people are what make us great, so we empower them with the freedom to think big and the resources to make things happen. We communicate directly, lead by example, and make sure our team members know how much they are appreciated. Passion for life and work is important to us, and we want to see it in you, too!
Points is looking for a Team Lead, Software Engineering to join our technology team for a permanent position in downtown Toronto.
We’re an industry-leading organization that is continuously reshaping how consumers interact with their loyalty programs. We work with the world’s largest airline, hotel, financial, and retail rewards programs, to tackle complex challenges and come up with innovative e-commerce solutions. If you’d like to be a part of it, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for a smart, enthusiastic person with a passion for software development and an interest in creating web software. If you love working in an open, highly collaborative environment making awesome software, then Points is the place for you.
Reporting to the Director, Software Engineering, you’ll be responsible for the following:
- Drive day-to-day development activities of a small development team in close collaboration with technical leaders, scrum masters and product managers.
- 50% of your time will be spent hands-on-keyboard writing code.
- Work closely with fellow team leads, technical leads, principal engineers, Director and VP of Software Engineering and CTO to define the company’s technical direction.
- Lead initiatives within the team and department, enabling teammates to achieve technical and career milestones.
- Manage and mentor direct reports via 1:1s and other means.
- Provide coaching to direct reports on their career development plans.
- Review and manage direct reports’ performance and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Provide leadership in difficult situations, facilitate contentious discussions, and report up when necessary.
- You will lead the development of new functionality in the product and its interface which is RESTful in nature. This will include not only the technical aspects but also making sure that the team is engaged and involved.
- Part of the role is handling ambiguous and raw requirement. You will work closely with others to make progress even if not all the details are ironed out.
- Comfortable coding in your high level language of choice - we use Python.
- Experience with all tiers of development, front, back and infrastructure.
- Experience with and belief in automated testing and continuous integration.
- Very strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Passion for building quality software.
Nice to Haves:
- At least one year of experience leading a development team.
- Polyglot coder and knowledgeable in multiple languages, including Python and Java.
- Solid understanding of building and deploying highly available and redundant infrastructures.
- Experience on agile development teams, with SCRUM, BDD, TDD.
- Expertise in building web applications for consumer focused, transaction driven, e-commerce platforms on Linux in Java (Tomcat, JBoss, Spring, Hibernate) and/or Python (Apache, Django, Flask).
- Experience with SQL databases (Oracle, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (CouchDB).
- Expert in TDD, BDD, and associated techniques and tools.
- Knowledge of UI/UX and understanding of user experience design principles.
Building a great company culture is as vital to us as building a great business. Over the last 5 years Points has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Best Workplaces (Medium) in Canada
- Best Workplaces for Women. We were also named one of
- Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Here are some of the perks that are included in our Points culture:
- Central downtown location in the Financial District
- Connected to the PATH network of shops/restaurants
- We want to celebrate with you: all employees get an extra day off for their Birthdays!
- Flexible work hours and casual dress every day
- Marvelous Snack Cart Fridays: free refreshments and snacks!
- Free coffee, tea, juice, pop, and snacks
- Monthly subsidized lunch program
- Green commuter and fitness subsidies
- Secure bike storage with showers and towel service
- Company-sponsored activities: bowling, movies, sports, paintball, and more!
Points is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential.
No agencies please.