Team Lead, Data Engineering
- 111 Richmond St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2G4, Canada
We’re a technology company working in the loyalty e-commerce industry. Our solutions enhance the management and monetization of loyalty currencies for more than 50 of the world’s largest loyalty brands, from frequent flyer miles and hotel points to retailer and credit card rewards. Supported by our unparalleled loyalty industry experience and technological expertise, we bring state-of-the-art loyalty commerce platforms and products to individuals and businesses in today’s loyalty marketplace.
Our casual, collaborative office is where our strong workplace culture begins. Our people are what make us great, so we empower them with the freedom to think big and the resources to make things happen. We communicate directly, lead by example, and make sure our team members know how much they are appreciated. Passion for life and work is important to us, and we want to see it in you, too!
Points is looking for a Team Lead, Data Engineering to join our BI Development team for a permanent position in our downtown Toronto office.
We’re an industry-leading organization that is continuously reshaping how consumers interact with their loyalty programs. We work with the world’s largest airline, hotel, financial, and retail rewards programs, to tackle complex challenges and come up with innovative e-commerce solutions. If you’d like to be a part of it, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re rethinking how data is used and accessed here at Points to ensure we extract the tremendous value it provides across all areas of the organization. We’re looking for a smart and enthusiastic person with a passion for data engineering to help take our data warehouse to the next level. If you love working in an open, highly collaborative environment making awesome software, then Points is the place for you.
Reporting to the Director, Software Engineering, the Team Lead will be responsible for:
- Drive day-to-day development activities of a small development team in close collaboration with technical leaders, scrum masters and product managers
- 50% of your time will be spent hands-on-keyboard writing and reviewing code
- Help provide input in forming a long-term vision on data at Points
- Work closely with fellow team leads, technical leads, principal engineers, Director and VP of Software Engineering and CTO to define company’s technical direction
- Lead initiatives within the team and department, enabling teammates to achieve technical and career milestones
- Manage and mentor direct reports via 1:1s and other means
- Provide coaching to direct reports on their career development plans
- Review and manage direct reports’ performance and conduct annual performance reviews
- Provide leadership in difficult situations, facilitate contentious discussions, and report up when necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- At least three years of experience leading a development team
- Experience with ETLs, data lakes and data warehouses
- Proficient in SQL and NoSQL databases - we use PostgreSQL, Vertica and CouchDB
- Understanding of and experience building data pipelines
- Experience with and belief in automated testing and continuous integration
- Very strong communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt to ambiguous requirements and changing business needs
- Passion for building quality software
Nice to Haves:
- Polyglot coder and knowledgeable in multiple languages
- Solid understanding of building and deploying highly available and redundant infrastructures
- Experience on agile development teams, with SCRUM, BDD, TDD
- Experience with Talend or other graphical ETL tools
- Experience building ETL jobs programmatically
Building a great company culture is as vital to us as building a great business. Over the last 5 years Points has been the recipient of the following awards:
- Best Workplaces (Medium) in Canada
- Best Workplaces for Women. We were also named one of
- Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Here are some of the perks that are included in our Points culture:
- Central downtown location in the Financial District
- Connected to the PATH network of shops/restaurants
- We want to celebrate with you: all employees get an extra day off for their Birthdays!
- Flexible work hours and casual dress every day
- Marvelous Snack Cart Fridays: free refreshments and snacks!
- Free coffee, tea, juice, pop, and snacks
- Monthly subsidized lunch program
- Green commuter and fitness subsidies
- Secure bike storage with showers and towel service
- Company-sponsored activities: bowling, movies, sports, paintball, and more!
Points is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential.
No agencies please.