Director of Data Engineering
- South Jordan, UT, USA
Our Data team builds and maintains the infrastructure and applications essential to delivering secure, scalable, flexible, and user-friendly data to the organization, enabling informed and data-driven decisions. The team also constructs and curates business critical data-sets that allows Pluralsight to realize the value of all the data collected.
The Director of Data Engineering is responsible for partnering with business and technical leaders to deliver the data modeling and curation components of Pluralsight’s data, including: foundational data sets of facts and dimensions, and data pipeline performance tuning. The Director of Data Engineering will be focused on process implementation and change management as new sources of truth and high-performance data sets are rolled out across the company to deliver both reliable and trusted foundational data for consumption by data scientists, product and business analysts, and data practitioners across the organization. Reporting to the Head of Data Engineering and Operations, the Director of Data Engineering will work closely with other teams in the data organization including Data Operations, Data Engineering, Data Insights and Analytics, Experience Data Science, and product teams to create trusted data sets that are foundational to asking and answering the myriad of data questions essential to growing our business.
The perfect applicant for this role has strong leadership skills in addition to experience with big data environments and change management as curated data is upgraded and made available to all of Pluralsight. The ability to craft concise communications and executive-ready presentations that weave together complex, critical data sources and concepts and associating them with business needs will be vital. Close partnership with both business leaders and data practitioners to define the value proposition of data warehousing activities as well as understanding key data questions presented by considerations of Pluralsight’s strategy is essential to this role. The position entails both individual effort for planning and documentation as well as the opportunity to build out a team and boundaries of constructs like the data lake, the data warehouse, and data storage as the footprint of the data engineering function grows. Further, continuous interaction with analysts and business leaders in order to determine an optimal approach, and an eagerness to explore data sources to understand the availability, utility, and integrity of our data is essential to the role.
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience designing and delivering data warehouses and marts to support business analytics
- 10+ years of experience designing and developing data curation and integration processes
- 10+ years of experience in SQL development on RDBMS (Postgres preferred) and performance tuning
- Experience with data modeling/data workflow diagrams (conceptual, logical, and physical)
- Experience with source control and deployment workflows for DW and ETL solution delivery
- Experience with cloud architecture and implications for development and data processing
- Production experience with big data processing frameworks like Hadoop and Spark
- Hands-on experience with scripting languages (Python, BASH, etc)
- Preferably experience building Analytics solutions in self-service data pipelines (Alteryx) and data-viz tools (Tableau)
What you’ll own:
- Data Warehousing and modeling strategy and delivery
- Management of data engineering team dedicated to curation and data processing
- Evolution of data environment to deliver both continuity and continuous improvement in data quality, speed, and availability
- Curation of source-system data to deliver trusted data sets
- Production ETL performance tuning and environment-level resource consumption and management
- Migration of POC pipelines to production data processes
Experience you’ll need:
- Demonstrated success coordinating cross-functional teams to meet project goals and deadlines
- Ability to balance the needs of many stakeholders and communicate timelines and activities at an executive level
- Strong capability to manipulate and analyze complex, high-volume data from a variety of sources
- Effective communication skills with technical team members as well as business partners. Able to distill complex ideas into straightforward language
- Developed and executed a production strategy for many, ad hoc data processes into performant and reliable foundational data pipelines via iterative development in partnership with developers and business customers
Working at Pluralsight
Founded in 2004 and trusted by Fortune 500 companies, Pluralsight is the technology skills platform organizations and individuals in 150+ countries count on to create progress for the world.
Our platform helps technologists master their craft and take control of their careers. We empower businesses everywhere to build adaptable teams, speed up release cycles and become scalable, reliable and secure. We come to work everyday knowing we’re helping our customers build the skills that power innovation.
And we don’t let fear, egos or drama distract us from our mission. Our mission to democratize technology skills is what drives us and our values are at the helm of how we work together. It’s our commitment to practicing them day in, day out that enables our performance. We’re adults, and we treat each other that way. We have the autonomy to do our jobs, transparency to eliminate office politics and trust each other to do the right thing. We thrive in an environment with creativity around every corner, challenges that keep us on our toes, and peers who inspire us to be the best we can be. We bring different viewpoints, backgrounds and experiences, and united by our mission, we are one.
Bring yourself. Pluralsight is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.