Senior Machine Learning Engineer
- Boston, MA
Pluralsight proudly creates the creators of tomorrow: the people who develop the technology that lifts the human condition. We do this through the tech industry's leading learning platform for serious Developer, IT, and Creative professionals. Our team of 700+ innovators and disruptors are serving over 1M users in 150+ countries to conquer the tech skills gap.
Iris is Pluralsight’s learning intelligence platform, an innovative and unique user experience, whose aim is to use data to create a smarter, personalized learning journey. It is cutting edge and a key component of Pluralsight’s strategy. We are growing a team of people from multiple disciplines who love solving complex problems with data and are excited by the prospect of creating the brains behind Iris. As a Software Engineer with a focus on Machine Learning, you will be responsible for building the infrastructure and implementing the algorithms that make Iris smart. You will be working on a cross-functional team with a Product Manager, UX designer, dev ops specialist, machine learning engineers, and software engineers. You’ll be part of a team that is user-focused, has a mentality for experimentation, and iterates quickly.
Who you are:
· You are proficient at developing software in Python and have a mastery of data structures and database fundamentals, with experience with big data technology stacks. Even better if you also have experience with TensorFlow.
· You have several years of experience building production services, preferably as part of a product development team. A track record of implementing data-driven products is ideal.
· You have worked in a collaborative development environment and have experience with continuous integration and delivery.
· You have a strong foundation in Computer Science and Math, and at least some exposure to the fundamentals of Machine Learning. Regardless of your formal training, you geek out on reading up on modern machine learning techniques and applications. At a minimum, you have a B.S. in Computer Science or relevant quantitative science
· You care about writing good code and building great software. You understand the trade-offs when we have to move faster, but you know what quality means and how to get there when we need to.
· You are comfortable moving up and down the stack. It matters less that you know the exact frameworks and tools that we use, but you must be willing and able to learn very quickly. We also mean full stack across other functions - you should be excited to understand the entire business and learn from customers.
What you’ll do:
· Develop robust, scalable production data products based on prototype algorithms developed in Python or R by the data science R&D team. You’ll evaluate trade-offs and do performance tuning for production traffic.
· Use your engineering expertise to help design solutions to novel problems in software development, data engineering, and machine learning.
· Build data pipelines. Transform and convert data streams into structures needed for algorithm input.
· Collaborate with Product Manager and UX Designer to better understand the customer, provide valuable input into functional design and usability
· Evaluate the effectiveness of user experiences and ML algorithms, determining what data is needed and how to collect it, with an understanding of how these metrics are connected the desired outcomes
· Apply your experience in making intelligent, forward-thinking, technical decisions to our development process, including implementing new standards, tools, APIs, and workflows
Ways we work:
· Attention to detail - we want to be proud of our work
· Test Driven Development - We maintain a suite of good tests for all production code.
· Pair programming as well as individual with code reviews - we value collaborative development
· Continuous Delivery - teams independently ship code to prod every day
· Agile - we reduce the time to learn by having short feedback loops
· Continual improvement - we take time to sharpen the saw and adjust how we work
· Autonomous & responsible teams - we’re empowered to make our own product and development decisions to do the job
· Cross-functional teams - collaborating through all phases of the product dev process
· Customer research - we build what our customers actually want
· Leaders who trust- teams create without top-down feature requirements
Be Yourself. Pluralsight is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.