Senior Data Engineer - 
- Back Piccadilly, Manchester, UK
Playtech PLC is the world’s leading supplier of systems and content for the online gambling industry with other 5,000 employees worldwide. Playtech provides a complete solution for the management of omnichannel gambling across a range of verticals (casino, sports, poker and bingo) and is committed to supporting responsible gambling and protection of vulnerable players.
Our Manchester office (M60 J21), is the home of Neon, the world’s fastest-growing system for bricks-and-mortar casinos. Neon’s prestigious international client base includes:
- SBM Monte Carlo (operator of the legendary casinos in Monaco)
- Sun International (South African operator of some of the world’s leading integrated resorts)
- MSC Cruises (operator of 15 high-end cruise ships with onboard casinos)
- Grosvenor Casinos (55 UK casinos connected to a central system hosted in Microsoft Azure)
- Olympic Casinos (Eastern Europe’s largest casino operator with over 100 casinos in 6 countries)
We continue to grow rapidly despite the devastating effect of COVID-19 on our industry and are currently expanding and reorganising to establish Neon as the global market leader. Alongside our Manchester office, we have teams in Nice, Nova Gorica, Ho Chi Minh City, Johannesburg and Buenos Aries which each serve the local market.
The success of Neon is built on strong client relationships, modern technology and customer-focused innovation. The product consists of a suite of modern, loosely coupled web and mobile applications which can be installed in the cloud or on-premise to deliver:
- The casino team with effective tools to manage risks and optimise revenue and efficiency
- Players with the best gaming experience and protection technology can enable
- Leading-edge CRM, marketing and engagement
- Enterprise-level business intelligence and machine learning
Working for Playtech
We operate a people first approach to our business and are highly focused on providing our team with the tools they need to excel. The team work hard and smart, investing their time and expertise in an environment which provides the freedom to express themselves and innovate.
We are a fast-growing, fast-moving company in a dynamic industry. Our sales teams bring many exciting opportunities and our strike rate in closing business is excellent. Our R&D teams are always working on new, innovative products. You will need to be a self-starter who can adapt to a changing environment to support the company’s ambitious growth plans.
Our software development function is based in Manchester and organised in a series of trusted, highly motivated, autonomous product teams. Our developers engage directly with end users in the casinos and use the latest technologies (Azure, Service Fabric microservices, .Net Core, Angular, UWP etc) to design and build a powerful suite of cloud-based and on-premise business applications.
You will report to the Software Development Director and your responsibilities will include:
- Working with the existing team to implement new features and create new applications to expand our growing catalogue of products
- Participate in requirements analysis with the Business Analysts
- Collaborate with the development team on software design and architecture
- Review, update, refactor, and debug the existing code base, improving where possible.
- Provide technical support to other departments in the company
- Working with junior members of the team to help train and improve best practices.
- Effectively conduct code reviews
- Document any changes made to the existing code base and new applications.
Your Experience and Skills
As we expand our development team, we are open to a variety of skillsets and candidate profiles. As a senior member of the team, you will be expected to meet all the following criteria:
- Significant experience delivering C# .net solutions, including .net Core
- Proven experience delivering microservice solutions
- Full understanding of microservice architecture and the ability to build high availability applications.
- Thorough understanding of networking and deployment of microservices
- Experience of multi cluster, multi node deployments
- A high level of understanding of SQL Server and design patterns
- Excellent understanding of the SDLC in VS and Azure DevOps
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (Scrum / Kanban)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills when working with complex problems across multiple applications
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in CI/ CD environment
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience
Our General Expectations
Our basic expectations for the role are that:
- You are a highly motivated individual who will strive to learn our procedures and look for improvements as soon as possible
- You will contribute to new product design, showing a high level of understanding of software architecture as well as a desire to write functional code to an extremely high standard
- You will work predominantly in C#, but will have experience in other high-level languages such as Java
- You will be an excellent team player, contributing to the development team and other departments in the company
- You will quickly become a key member of the team and assist growing the team, improving standards, and increasing the output from the development team.