Senior Front-End Developer
- Back Piccadilly, Manchester, UK
Playtech PLC is the world’s leading supplier of systems and content for the online gambling industry with over 5,000 employees worldwide. Playtech provides a complete solution for the management of omnichannel gambling across a range of verticals (casino, sports, poker and bingo) and is committed to supporting responsible gambling and protection of vulnerable players.
Our Manchester office (M60 J21), is the home of Neon, the world’s fastest-growing system for bricks-and-mortar casinos. Neon’s prestigious international client base includes:
- SBM Monte Carlo (operator of the legendary casinos in Monaco)
- Sun International (South African operator of some of the world’s leading integrated resorts)
- MSC Cruises (operator of 15 high-end cruise ships with onboard casinos)
- Grosvenor Casinos (55 UK casinos connected to a central system hosted in Microsoft Azure)
- Olympic Casinos (Eastern Europe’s largest casino operator with over 100 casinos in 6 countries)
We continue to grow rapidly despite the devastating effect of COVID-19 on our industry and are currently expanding and reorganising to establish Neon as the global market leader. Alongside our Manchester office, we have teams in Nice, Nova Gorica, Ho Chi Minh City, Johannesburg and Buenos Aries which each serve the local market.
The success of Neon is built on strong client relationships, modern technology and customer-focused innovation. The product consists of a suite of modern, loosely coupled web and mobile applications which can be installed in the cloud or on-premise to deliver:
- The casino team with effective tools to manage risks and optimise revenue and efficiency
- Players with the best gaming experience and protection technology can enable
- Leading-edge CRM, marketing and engagement
- Enterprise-level business intelligence and machine learning
Working for Playtech
We operate a people first approach to our business and are highly focused on providing our team with the tools they need to excel. The team work hard and smart, investing their time and expertise in an environment which provides the freedom to express themselves and innovate.
We are a fast-growing, fast-moving company in a dynamic industry. Our sales teams bring many exciting opportunities and our strike rate in closing business is excellent. Our R&D teams are always working on new, innovative products. You will need to be a self-starter who can adapt to a changing environment to support the company’s ambitious growth plans.
Our software development function is based in Manchester and organised in a series of trusted, highly motivated, autonomous product teams. Our developers engage directly with end users in the casinos and use the latest technologies (Azure, Service Fabric microservices, .Net Core, Angular, UWP etc) to design and build a powerful suite of cloud-based and on-premise business applications.
Working on a range of industry-leading applications, which deploy across multiple form factors, you will bring expertise, rigour and imagination to the development process.
The right candidate will be given the opportunity to help lead the way we design and build browser apps. You will play a key role in the production of web apps that are heavily relied upon by both land-based casino business users, and land-based casino players around the world.
Our front-end developers design and build apps for desktop, mobile, touch-screen kiosks and embedded devices. Apps range from serious operational business apps, to player-facing slot machine apps, to small bonus games rewarding players for loyalty.
You will report to the Director of Products & Innovation and your responsibilities will include:
- Implementation of existing and greenfield web-based business apps and consumer apps
- Acting as a Subject Matter Expert and point of reference for developers, analysts and architects across the business
- Provide expert input to technical solution discussions
- Actively mentoring junior team members
- Play key role in establishing polices around development and testing best practices
- Monitor and analyse the everchanging front-end development landscape and adopt a pragmatic approach to recommending new approaches
Your Experience and Skills
- 6+ years of experience in developing component-based web apps and UIs
- Expert in modern ES6 approaches – classes, modules, arrow functions, template literals etc.
- Solid grounding in TypeScript
- Understanding of approaches to client-side authentication and authorisation (e.g. JWT)
- Expert in key browser APIs: DOM, Storage, WebSockets, Fetch etc.
- Expert in with at least one modern front-end framework (e.g. Angular, React)
- Comprehensive experience of consuming server-side RESTful APIs
- Node/NPM as part of web dev workflow
- Build tools (npm scripts, webpack, gulp etc.)
- Version control (git or TFVC)
- Expert TypeScript
- Expert Angular
- PWA and Service Workers
- Experience with legacy AngularJS 1.5+
- CSS pre-processors (LESS, SASS)
- Canvas / FabricJS
- Experience of Agile workflow
- Azure DevOps
- Experience with unique challenges of building business web apps
Our basic expectations for the role are that you will exhibit:
- Possession of a Component-based mindset i.e. approaching front-end development as a process of discovering the discrete building blocks of an app, and determining how best to arrange these blocks to satisfy requirements with elegance, performance and reusability in mind
- Strong desire to learn, develop, refine and master all aspects of your profession and the industry
- Determined, proactive and confident, you will not sit and wait for instructions before improving, refactoring and hardening our software
- Excellent communication skills with stakeholders of all levels, pitching your ideas and concepts at the right level, you will translate between the technical and business domains with ease
- With an ability and enthusiasm to solve problems, you will rely on instinct and experience to seek a solution, even when that solution is initially unclear
- With a willingness to accept that both complexity and change are inevitable in a dynamic environment, you will embrace this with a smile on your face