Lead UI/UX Designer
- Back Piccadilly, Manchester, UK
- Employees can work remotely
Playtech PLC is the world’s leading supplier of systems and content for the online gambling industry with over 5,000 employees worldwide. Playtech provides a complete solution for the management of omnichannel gambling across a range of verticals (casino, sports, poker and bingo) and is committed to supporting responsible gambling and protection of vulnerable players.
Our Manchester office (M60 J21), is the home of Neon, the world’s fastest-growing system for bricks-and-mortar casinos. Neon’s prestigious international client base includes:
- SBM Monte Carlo (operator of the legendary casinos in Monaco)
- Sun International (South African operator of some of the world’s leading integrated resorts)
- MSC Cruises (operator of 15 high-end cruise ships with onboard casinos)
- Grosvenor Casinos (55 UK casinos connected to a central system hosted in Microsoft Azure)
- Olympic Casinos (Eastern Europe’s largest casino operator with over 100 casinos in 6 countries)
We continue to grow rapidly despite the devastating effect of COVID-19 on our industry and are currently expanding and reorganising to establish Neon as the global market leader. Alongside our Manchester office, we have teams in Nice, Nova Gorica, Ho Chi Minh City, Johannesburg and Buenos Aries which each serve the local market.
The success of Neon is built on strong client relationships, modern technology and customer-focused innovation. The product consists of a suite of modern, loosely coupled web and mobile applications which can be installed in the cloud or on-premise to deliver:
- The casino team with effective tools to manage risks and optimise revenue and efficiency
- Players with the best gaming experience and protection technology can enable
- Leading-edge CRM, marketing and engagement
- Enterprise-level business intelligence and machine learning
Working for Playtech
We operate a people first approach to our business and are highly focused on providing our team with the tools they need to excel. The team work hard and smart, investing their time and expertise in an environment which provides the freedom to express themselves and innovate.
We are a fast-growing, fast-moving company in a dynamic industry. Our sales teams bring many exciting opportunities and our strike rate in closing business is excellent. Our R&D teams are always working on new, innovative products. You will need to be a self-starter who can adapt to a changing environment to support the company’s ambitious growth plans.
Based in our Manchester office, you will play a key role in a growing, highly-visible, and critically important Design, UX and UI department within the company.
You will become a major voice in deciding how the department operates, the techniques and methodologies employed, and the type of team and people required to grow our capabilities.
You will be given full backing to realise your ideas in one of the most exciting and glamorous industries in the world. Your designs will be experienced by by millions of casino players and casino employees around the world from London to Monte-Carlo to Las Vegas.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading on efforts to implement consistent, high-quality, and user-centric experiences across our full product portfolio
- Analysing user requirements and product strategies to conceive and design world-class user interfaces for a range of products that run on desktop, mobile, touch-screen kiosk, and slot machines.
- Promoting a culture of design excellence within the company.
- Collaborating with a group of UX/UI Designers embedded across our products teams
- Contributing to the establishment of best practice techniques and methods for all aspects of UX, Interaction Design and Visual Design, including research, prototyping, testing and implementation
- Overseeing the introduction of a library of internal UI design patterns, components and a shared design vocabulary
- Playing a major role in the discovery and innovation activities around the early-stage formation of new products and features
Your Experience and Skills
You will have previously exhibited exceptional performance in a UX, UI, or Product design role. You will be expected to be amongst the best, and to continue to develop and hone your craft to remain the best.
You will also bring:
- Strong capabilities to conceive, design and promote outstanding user interfaces, experiences and flows which match the very best of web-based applications
- Deep understanding of the principles of good Information Architecture, Interaction Design and Visual Design (typography, layout, use of colour and spacing, responsive design etc.)
- Understanding of modern UI implementation approaches i.e. component-based composability & reusability
- Skilled in major graphics design software, prototyping software and tools (e.g. inDesign, Illustrator, XD)
- Intimate knowledge of the opportunities and limitations presented by web-based platforms, including hand-on experience in modern CSS layout techniques (Flexbox, Grid)
- Ideally the ability to create hi-fidelity prototypes using HTML/CSS, although this not a requirement - we use a variety of approaches depending on context
Our General Expectations
- You will demonstrate genuine passion for your art and craft
- You will be dedicated to building sound domain knowledge of the casino and gaming industry, seeking to understand the diverse types of business user and the customers that interact with our products
- You will have the presence and composure to present your ideas and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- You will contribute positively to a company-wide culture of trust, fun, experimentation, and reward
- You will be open to occasional international travel to visit our customers on-site and attend industry expos
Your application should be supported with a portfolio of work examples where possible.