Senior Mechanical Engineer
- S Blvd E, Pontiac, MI 48341, USA
PPS customer is a growing Battery company.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for engineering and new product development of Li-ion battery systems. The Sr. Mechanical Engineer is engaged from the prototype stage through production launch and understands the mechanical, electro-mechanical, electrical, and functional interfaces throughout the battery. This Sr. level position is responsible for all aspects of design release required to meet the high quality expectations and robustness within the heavy-duty markets supported by our products. This position requires a creative individual with a keen understanding of product design that places safety and quality as foremost deliverables while effectively balancing other attributes such as performance, mass, and cost.
· Work seamlessly with the mechanical engineering and CAD teams to evolve new products in an efficient manner delivering best in class product quality, efficiency, and optimized design solutions.
· Responsible for the engineering and development of assigned assemblies, subsystems, and components. Responsibilities include the development of technical work products, coordination of FEA studies, supplier capabilities, DFMEA, GD&T, DFM/DFA, and PPAP deliverables.
· Manage and release structured bill of materials including PFEP during early stages of product development with evolution into production MRP systems (SAP).
· Work closely with the program management office, supply chain, purchasing, quality, strategic suppliers, and manufacturing engineering to ensure successful high-volume production.
· Serve as project manager for mid to small internal projects when a dedicated Program Manager is not assigned. It is envisioned that some projects may span across multiple projects and may entail lead activities for product certifications or regulatory approvals.
Additional Support Responsibilities:
· Ensure mechanical design addresses key requirements for production efficiency with high first pass yield manufacturing, serviceability, and recyclability.
· Proactively support validation teams in test plan reviews to ensure that testing strategies properly stress and verify design compliance and safety.
· Assess and benchmark competitive technologies for innovation, cost, performance, and functional advantages.
· Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications.
Serve as a peer reviewer for CAE studies.
· B.S. (M.S. preferred) in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology or equivalent
· Minimum 5+ years of mechanical engineering product design; prior battery or HEV design experience highly desired.
· 1-3+ years SolidWorks CAD software experience is desired. Experience with other CAD modeling tools can also be considered.
· Experience in developing metal and plastic parts within high volume production settings. (Stamped or formed sheet metal, injection molded, insert molded, machined, extruded, die cast, etc.).
· Strong English skills are required, both spoken and written.
· Knowledge of battery systems related to design: Module and pack enclosures; retention of battery cells; cell tab joining/inter-connects; thermal management; vehicle integration experience a plus.
· Working knowledge of industry standards for testing and ratings for, ingress protection, mechanical vibration and shock, thermal profile / shock, environmental exposure, abuse and etc.
· Ability to perform or lead/direct design optimization studies with CAE analysts to balance design robustness vs. mass reduction.
· Design and release experience, with disciplined change management and technical project management experience.
· Demonstrated manufacturing launch experience, supporting manufacturing engineering from initial development to launch.
· Work closely customers (internal & external) and technical experts to deliver products that meet performance requirements in the presence of noise factors.
· Robust Engineering design experience – having experience using DFSS and/or Shainin Red X principles is desired.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – position requires strong interaction in multi-functional team environment particularly in high-pressure situations (e.g., launch).
· Detailed oriented in the execution of assignments and deliverables
· Takes actions and displays behaviors that demonstrate ownership in the success of the company; overcomes obstacles to achieve results
· Effectively participates in a team environment to reach desired outcomes either as a team leader or team member.
· Builds safety, quality and compliance into all actions.
· Committed to continuous learning and self-improvement.
Looking for a great team to grow with? Make an immediate impact with? Join us! We understand that people are the greatest asset any company has. With this full time Direct Hire Opportunity, we offer a generous compensation and benefits package, along with the team feel of a small company and the support of a global experience.